unfinished #1

In where a sheltered and shy Normani meets an exuberant and flirty Dinah.

Written: november 12, 2018

"Mani!" A light brunette-haired Allyson Hernandez exclaims as she smacks a pillow against a figure sprawled out against a queen sized mattress. It simply groans in response. "Get up! You promised you'd come with us to the bonfire tonight and it's already eight o'clock."

The body shifts under the puffy white comforter, a chocolate colored foot poking itself out from its confines of the bed sheets. "Phuck dnn boonfrr," the pillow rumbles.

Huffing and rolling her eyes in utter annoyance, Ally rounds the bed until she's at the foot. Then, grabbing the comforter, she pulls the heavy white sheet towards the carpet floor, before hastily covering her eyes while shrieking.

"Why the hell are you naked?!"

Long, dark brunette hair is sprawled messily against a pillow as 21-year-old Normani Hamilton lifts an arm out, her hand searching blindly for the cover that was keeping her warm only mere seconds ago. The ebony whines as she squeezes her eyes tighter, arm still elevated in the air as her clothed legs move towards her bare chest for warmth. She's unbothered by Ally's sudden yelling, instead simply wanting to go back to sleep. She clenches and unclenches her hand. "'Gimmie my covers back, Als." she mumbles, before her arm drops lazily back to her side.

"No, you're coming to the bonfire." Ally's demanding tone wakes Normani from her drowsiness, but only slightly. Out of all the years she's known her best friend, Normani knows she'd never get used to Ally's commanding, mother-like voice when she was tired of enduring people's shit. "Now, get up. Lauren's waiting for us downstairs."

Unenthusiastically, the ebony makes her way down the stairs of their apartment complex, the sleep from her eyes long gone. However, the grumpiness has yet to dissipate. Normani never cared for parties, no matter where they were held. Her one and only desire was to get through college and get as much sleep as she could during her spare time. So, safe to say, she isn't exactly thrilled to go to this bonfire.

"'Sup, sleeping beauty?" Ally's longtime girlfriend, Lauren Jauregui smirks, eyebrows raising in amusement as she leans against the hood of her car. The ebony smiles sheepishly as the slightly taller woman nudges her teasingly. Once the three get into the drop top convertible — Normani hopping in the back, Ally in the passenger, Lauren in the driver's — they make their way to their destination: the beach.

"Surprised is an understatement — how'd you manage to get Frankenstein here out of her bed, babe?" Lauren says, raising her voice over the loud music and the cool blowing California wind. At the nickname, Normani makes an unimpressed face at her through the rearview mirror.

"I used my mom voice." The blonde responds with a shrug. Then, she smiles brightly as she laced her fingers through her girlfriend's offered hand. "It works every time."

Normani pokes her bottom lip out slightly, pouting as she looks out at the night scenery of California, arms crossed over her seatbelt. "I can't believe I'm being dragged to another one of your parties. You guys know I hate them."

"Oh come on, Mani." Lauren says, "Lighten up. It's Spring break! Do you really want to spend it doing absolutely nothing?"

"Hell yeah. Sounds like heaven to me."

"Maniiii," Ally interjects with a sigh. "We're doing this to help you! Lauren and I cannot be your only means of socializing. Parties are a great way to do that!"

"Socializing? Oh sure, like the last party I went to with Keith Powers worked out so well," The curly, dark haired brunette deadpans sarcastically, "Really thought I had something going there, until I finally realized that all he wanted from me was a blowjob and some anal." Thank God for her father, Derrick, for putting her through taekwondo when she was younger.