Chapter 55- The Princess and the Pauper

Tom regretted leaving practically the second that both Frankie and the school drifted out of his line of sight. Why had he let them be so easily separated after everything he'd gone through just to be with her? He should've fought harder, like he'd done when she was about to be adopted. It felt like that summer had been ages ago, but Tom remembered the emotions quite clearly. He knew in that moment she'd told him of her sudden departure that magic alone couldn't keep him content for the rest of his life. Even though he still would've had school, it wouldn't have been nearly enough to console his torn soul. She was home. He had never wanted something so much and was ready to take drastic measures to ensure she wasn't taken away from him. However, this time he just boarded the train and left her. And for what—to roam a foreign country in search of a magic tiara? To explore the frightening side of himself that he desperately kept trying to bury under a mountain of lies to no avail? He would continue to tear his soul until it was so fragmented that even the one person who knew him completely would not be able to figure out how to put them back together.

The decision to move forward with this whole plot was just proving Tom that he couldn't protect anything he cared about. In fact, he didn't even deserve to have anything to care about in the first place. He had chosen this path to find and make yet another Horcrux regardless of her feelings. Frankie's ideals were clear. She thought Horcruxes were vile and when she eventually found out their relationship would surely be finished. It wasn't possible to have the future promised to him in the Mirror of Erised. It was just the stupid dream of his foolish, feeble heart.

Tom simply suppressed all the doubt and complex questions, for now. The first and only thing he had to do was get the diadem. Once he had that, he was certain that things would be clearer in his mind. He had 49 days to make his decision. Tom was still determined to have everything he wanted, regardless of his many doubts that it was possible.

                                                             *~*~*

After an entire month had gone by, Tom unfortunately still had close to nothing on the true whereabouts of the Lost Diadem. He had to check every single tree, in every single forest, in every single town in Albania. Magic was being absolutely useless in finding it. He'd tried various spells and methods, but none of them made his job any easier. The diadem was surely protected from simple things like Summoning Charms. Rowena was clever and, unfortunately for Tom, just had to make sure her precious personal artifact was clever as well. Thus, Tom continued the tedious task of checking every single tree in the country for a tricky little tiara.

Tom had just Apparated into yet another town one July afternoon and was already on the verge of giving up. Searching every single tree in the country was too damn hard of a task to do without magic. He would've just asked Helena specifically where it was if he hadn't been so worried that he'd come off too eager and she'd distrust him. Besides, how many details could she possibly remember? She was frightened and clearly intent on forgetting. Utterly exhausted and looking for a place to catch his breath for a moment, Tom walked to a small little lake on the edge of town where he found a tree a few feet from the edge. After knocking on it, just to be sure, he laid down at the base and sighed heavily. He looked out at the sparkling lake surface and up at the small tree. They reminded him of their spot and naturally of her. Tom decided to close his eyes and use his dusty imagination. What was she doing at this moment? Surely, she must have been doing the same as him. He could just picture the girl with long sunlit hair sitting beneath the tree beside him. Perhaps, if he opened his eyes she would be. Tom slowly reopened his eyes but was not expecting to see a familiar pair of pale blue eyes surrounded by a field of fiery red hair. Tom jerked his head up in surprise and collided with her forehead. This girl had obviously been staring at him too closely. Her features were familiar, and he recognized them immediately once he'd gotten a clear look at her.