Chapter 8

NiNi's POV

Christmas morning

Cleveland, OH

              " There isn't another woman I would rather be with other than you," he leans in to kiss me. Oh shit, this is it. This is it. My eyes zoom in to see his medium size cotton candy pink lips. Damn, I wonder if his lips taste sweet too? I feel my hands growing clammy as I realize how close he is to me. Three inches away. I want this so badly. Two inches away. I don't know if I can do this right now. What if he doesn't think I am a great kisser? One inch away. Fuck it, I am going to blow his mind. I close my eyes and stand on my tippy toes to give him easier access to my lips. Here goes nothing.......... KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK! What the fuck?!?! Before I can question why is there knocking, my eyes flutter open. Ugh, it was just a dream. I should be a bit more happy that it was just a figment of my imagination. But, part of my was hoping that he cares about me. Part of me was wishing that he wants him to want to feel my lips pressed against his. However, now part of me just wonder if he even remembers that evening we shared together.... or has it been severed from his memory like a doctor amputating a limb from a sick patient.

       KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK. The knocking grows a bit louder this time. I glance over at my alarm clock and see that its 10:30 a.m. 10:30 a.m.?!?! Shit, present unwrapping was suppose to start an hour ago. My usual morning routine is to roll over, inhale the pillow next to me and go to the bathroom. But this morning, I roll over, inhale my pillow and stop. It doesn't smell like clean linens or even like the peppermint and tea tree oil I put in my hair. It smells fruity...... a combination of citrus and something else. But, what? And, why does my pillow smell like it is the bigger question? I know it may seem like I am tripping.... like why does it matter so much? It could just be a figment of my imagination. But, I know its not. I know its not just a figment imagination... or a coincidence. I hate the smell of lemony stuff. The smell of it triggers a deeper, darker part of my childhood memories filled with the smells of ripe liquor, piercing screams and many nights going to sleep on an empty stomach. I lay still for a moment, waiting for my stomach to respond to the fruity scent. If my stomach starts to hurt, its a premonition that something bad is going to happen. My stomach shifts a bit, but nothing else. I sniff the pillow again, my nose is welcomed with an intoxicating smell of citrus and something else... possible berry smell. My body tenses up a bit, noticing the lemony undertones. However, it relaxes a bit only it recognizes that its mixed with other smell. I look down at my stomach, as if waiting for it to speak to me. Tummy, what does this mean? Nothing. My stomach is not responding to anything. For now, I will take that as a sign that everything is okay. 

    KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK. Shit, I forgot that they were still here. I rush to the front door and swing the door open. " I am so sorry guys, I was really tired... and I overslept," my lips automatically part to apologize to my grandmother and cousins. "Its okay honey, I figured that you must be tired from working so hard," Grammy Evelyn say in an affectionate manner. "Yo, its freezing outside can you let us in," my cousin Ke'on's teeth are chattering as he is speaking to me. " Ain't no one tell you to wear lil ass jean jacket," his girlfriend MiMi rolls her eyes. I start to laugh, but cover it up with fake " achoo" sneeze. I step out the way allowing my cousins to make their way into my house. " Before y'all even go to far into my house...." I begin to say. "We know take off our shoes," my cousins and grandmother say in unison. I smile tenderly at the thought that they remembered how important that rule is to me in my house. "Honey, come over her and give your grandmother a hug." I walk over and give me grandmother a quick hug. I wish it could be longer, but not right now. My grandmother is 70 years old, but her eyes are as sharp as a hawk. She immediately picks up on the shortness of our exchange, but before I allow Grammy eyes to pierce mines I distract her. " Hey, everyone go and start to opening up gifts and I am going to start with breakfast." My announcement is greeted with growling stomachs and " I'm hungry" from my cousins. 

    In the kitchen, I start to tackle the task of feeding eight people. What can I make that's fast? I open up my fridge to think of a quick menu for my guests. Hmmmm, it looks like eggs, turkey bacon, cinnamon rolls with what else? I see a fruit bowl sitting on the middle of my counter top. I count about five oranges inside of it. I will also make a simple fruit platter and grapes. I grab a bag of green grapes from off the top shelf in the fridge. As I shut the door, I notice my cousin Ke'on standing right there. Knots begin to appear in my stomach... this can't be good. What does he need this time? Money. I look down to see a fresh pair of Jordan 11s on his feet. Better fucking not be asking for no money and wearing a pair of $275 sneakers on. "What's up?", I attempt to say in a calm voice, but it wavers a bit. " I came in here to help you make breakfast." I want to point out that he hates cooking, but today is Christmas and its all about being loving towards your family. So, I keep my snarky remark to myself. "Sure, can you grab two aluminum pans from the cabinet, put the oven on 325 degrees, wash your hands and put the bacon in the pans and place it in the oven." He nods his head in my direction. I pull out a huge glass bowl, crack open a dozen and a half of eggs, grab some salt, red peppers and cheese. I dump all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together. Ke'on and I work in silence for the next few minutes.

   "So, I heard that a gas station got robbed ova in East Cleveland," his words startle me. He can't possible know that already. " Mhmmmm, I believe it. Robberies always happen over there," I shrug my shoulders as I respond hoping to give off an uninterested vibe. "My source also told me that you were inside of the gas station when it happened," Ke'on states. Should I lie? Or tell the truth? I choose a third option - to say nothing at all. " NiNi, look at me. Is that true?" his aggravation is apparent in his tone. Instead of looking at him, I turn my face to right avoiding eye contact with him. " It is true," his 6'3" frame shakes as he laughs. But, Ke'on laugh didn't reach his eyes that way it does whenever it does when he's happy to see his family or gets a piece of Grammy sweet potato pie. Damn, he's pissed. He walks over to me, put his finger under my jaw and tilt it upwards. " There's a bruise forming on your cheek," he comments bitterly. I touch my left cheeky and hiss. Damn, I didn't even realize it is tender. It must have been having my face pressed down on the gas station ground for too long. "Don't worry Ke'on its nothing to worry about. I'll put some ice on it, " I wave my hand in a dismissive manner. " You are right, its nothing to worry about anymore because I taken care of it." " Taken care of what?" I question weakly. I don't need him to take anymore risks, protecting me. Ke'on is drug dealer, a small time one. But, a dealer nonetheless. " Don't worry about it. I got a new job offer. It will allow me to step back from being on the front line of the streets and help me to protect my family better. But, it comes at a price," Ke'on looks at me deeply into my eyes. My stomach tightens up a bit. "What's the price?" " You. The person that offered me this job has his eyes set on you. He is a decent man, makes bread and have a big heart. You will MARRY him in due time," his voice tells me there is no room for discussion. I hang my down and nod my head. Ke'on knows that if its best for the family, that it is best for me too. He bends down kiss me on my forehead hands over to me a phone with a cracked screen. My phone?!?! How?!?! It was taken from me last night. I didn't have any money, so the robber decided to take my phone from me. "How did you get this back?" I ask. Ke'on doesn't answer my question, he looks down at me one more time before walking out of the kitchen.