Her Date

She stepped in Vertinas' range. She turned on and asked what was going on. She and Vertina used to fight a lot, but over the years, they grew a lot closer. She was Sophie's best friend, other than Dex and Biana. Sophie filled her in, and there was a lot of squealing between the two of them. She told her about Fitz hailing her. It was like an hour after she woke up. He seemed annoyed when she told her about her date with Keefe. After he hung up, she could've sworn that he was mad. Vertina wasn't happy, but she was more focused on Keefe, and so Sophie.

"I'm so happy for you! Keefe Sencen? I knew he liked you for a long time. Ahhhhh!!!" Vertina said in her high pitched voice.

"Really? I mean, he has always been there for me. I guess I just liked Fitz so much I didn't notice. Now I feel bad," she sighed, wishing she'd paid more attention.

"What are you going to wear? You have to look casual right?" Vertina asked. It was her job to make sure she looked good as a spectral mirror. She gave opinions on her fashion. Which was helpful because she couldn't tell what was fashionable with the elves and what wasn't. 

"Grab your nicest tunic, not a gown though. That would be too nice." Sophie went into her closet and grabbed a silver tunic and navy blue leggings. Vertina said that was dull. Next she came out with red sleeves and glittery bodice. She shook her head. Too 'out there' as Vertina put it. Next, she came out with a little purple tunic with two ruffles and had a v neck. She grabbed black leggings and put them on.  She came out and Vertina sucked in a breath. 

"Perfect! Now get that gold speckled eyeliner, blush, mascara, and a purple jeweled barrette," She instructed Sophie how to do her make up, and then told her to bring two braids back and clip them with the barrettes. 

"What do you think? Pretty cute, right?" She asked Sophie. She nodded, astounded. She looked perfect. Not too fancy, not too frilly, just casually pretty. Just the way Sophie liked it. 

"I love it. Thank you. You're the best. It's 3:10. I should go. Thank you. You're a miracle worker," Sophie said. 

"The miracle is you. I just helped with some final touches," Vertina corrected. Sophie smiled.

"Thanks. Where would I be without you?" She laughed as she stepped out of range and went down the stairs. She was glad that Vertina allowed her to wear flats instead of heels, She would have killed herself just trying to get down the stairs. She got down there and stepped to the Leap Master. 

"Atlantis!" She shouted. She stepped into the light. 

_______

She got there and looked for Keefe. She finally spotted him at a table that seated two in her favorite cafè. He waved her over. He had bought two mugs of Cinnacreme and two large slices of Mallowmelt and one medium platter of custard bursts and one plate of butter blasts. She laughed as she walked over and took the spot across from him. 

"Wow. You went all out," She grinned as she took a sip of her delicious cinnamon, vanilla and chai flavored drink. 

"Just a little. I knew these were your favorites, so tada! By the way, you look beautiful," her face turned tomato red. 

"Thanks. You look... amazing. Especially the hair," she winked. He smirked.

"So, how are you?" She asked trying to start a conversation. He shrugged. 

"I finally get to move away from my dad. Ro is super excited. I promised her she can still sneak over and give him her favorite amoebas, so she was satisfied," his grin lit up the room. He was finally free to be himself, not constantly put down by harsh criticism.

"How are you?" He asked. She sighed. 

"Fine."

"Come on, Foster. I know you better than that. Spill."

"I don't know. I'm just not sure anymore. Has Fitz seemed off to you? He was kind of annoyed with me when I told him that I had plans with you this afternoon. I don't know. Have you talked to him?" She asked, not sure she wanted to know. 

"No. I'll check in with him later. Don't take it personally. He never got over you," Keefe looked about as happy as she was. 

"Forget him! We have all of these desserts to eat, so let's get started. Which should we eat first? I say Butterblasts. Those are good," she raised her mug, Keefe did the same and they clinked them together and laughed. They both grabbed a Butterblast and smiled at each other as they both took their first bite. They stayed long into the night, long after the desserts were eaten. Soon, it was 7:30, and Keefe said he had to go finish packing and asked when he could see her again. 

"Meet me at Havenfield and I'll see if I can get Glitterbutt to come and let us fly with her, Greyfell, Wynn, and Luna," She said as she got up to thank him. He hugged her and she hugged back. 

"What time should I come over?" He asked grinning. 

"Say, 1:45. Does that work?" She asked. That was the time she would get home from shopping with Biana and Marella. 

"It's a date, Foster," he said. That left Sophie wondering if that was what he was going to say after every time they made plans. She was okay with that. 

______

"Hi girls," Sophie said as she walked to hug both her friends. 

"So where should we go? There's Topsy Tunics! Ooooh! Let's go there," Biana said as she dragged Sophie and Marella along with her. 

When she got home, Fitz was standing under the Panakes tree. He did not look happy. 

"Hi Fitz. What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be somewhere with Keefe? As I recall you were going somewhere with Ro?" She asked confused why he would show up here. 

"That ended at noon," he said cooly. 

"Ok. I'm going to put all of this away. Want to come up to my room?", she asked because all of these clothes that Biana made her get were getting heavy. Plus it was 1:15 and she needed to get in her riding clothes, Silveny had agreed to meet up at the designated time. 

"Sure. I'll come up," his tone was serious, and it was starting to get to her. He followed her up the stairs and closed the door behind him. She set the clothes on her bed and stepped in the range of Vertina. She put a finger to her lips. Vertina nodded. 

"So what do you want?", she asked Fitz, getting right to it. She wasn't going to allow this interrupt or bleed over into her date with Keefe. 

"I want you to realize that I'm better for you than Keefe," he said it so abruptly that she was knocked back a step and out of Vertina's range

"What? This is what this is all about, isn't it? Why? Why do you care?", she asked,  stepping back into Vertina's range. 

"I want you to realize you're worth more. More than him."

"No. I'm worth more than you. Why don't you realize that?  I know that Keefe has always been there for me. I've gotten by just fine without you for the last couple of years. Fitz, get out," she said with so much confidence that she was smiling. He curled and uncurled his fists. 

"Not a chance." He stepped forward and pushed her so hard she fell over and cut her shoulder on the bed frame.  

"Don't mess with me," he threw over his shoulder as he exited her room. Shoot. Now it was 1:30. She got up and went to the bathroom, looked for the balm that got rid of deep cuts. They were out, so she just cleaned the wound and bandaged it.  She found a tunic that covered the wound well enough. Vertina was concerned but Sophie waved her off. She put her hair back in a braided ponytail with Vertinas' help.  She left her room and went outside with her brave face on.