16. Truth or Dare

"What was the last thing you texted someone?"

"A picture of my dick," Matt answered.

"You're a fucking liar," Lakyn said, and Matt cracked up laughing. Kaitlynn still looked scandalized like she believed him, and I shook my head while I took a drink of my Mountain Dew. Parties these days were different. I was getting used to having a small group of friends, but I missed drinking. It was better for Juliet that way, though.

"It was a cat meme," Matt said.

"I don't know what I expected," Juliet said, laughing, "but it wasn't that."

"Lakyn," Kaitlynn interrupted. "Truth or dare?"

He gave her a slightly irritated expression as an answer. Lakyn hated Truth or Dare on principle. He'd never pick truth, he hated people knowing anything about him, but he said everyone's dares were either boring or idiotic.

Kaitlynn sighed, knowing she'd lost the game of trying to make Lakyn talk. "Alright. For a whole minute ... talk to this pillow like it's Scott!"

She tossed one of the throw pillows Lakyn's way and he caught it with a low sigh. Across from him, Juliet held her phone up, and it started counting down from sixty seconds.

"Oh, baby," Lakyn said dramatically, running his hand down the side of the pillow. "The things I'm going to do to you when we're alone. To those toes-"

"Fuck you!" I snapped, at the same time Kaitlynn squealed and Matt fell over laughing. Juliet put her hand over her mouth and I pointed a finger at her. "I'm not into that."

My phone rang. Again. I hit the deny button but the room still went quiet.

"Dude," Matt said softly.

"Who's next?" I asked.

"Scott," Juliet said. "Answer her."

"I'm not really in the mood," I said. "I'm having a good time."

"She's your mom," Juliet said gently. "And she's not going to be around forever."

I felt my jaw clench and I glanced at Lakyn, but he looked back at me without an answer. He didn't like to give me advice when it came to my parents. "I'll call her later."

Juliet nodded, then gestured at Lakyn. He smiled at me and said, "Truth or dare?"

***

My dad slid a beer across the table and I reached for it out of habit before I heard my mother say, "Ralph."

"If he thinks he's man enough to act the way he has been, then he's man enough to drink," Dad replied. He didn't look at her, or me.

I took the beer, mostly because it made dealing with him easier. I hadn't known he was going to be home when I'd agreed to visit Mom. I raised my eyebrows at her, but she turned back to the food she was setting the table with.

The awkward silence was broken by the doorbell and my mother loudly exclaiming, "Oh, our guest is here!"

"Guest?" I asked, but she left the room before answering. When she came back it was with a man who looked slightly older than her, dressed in a gray suit with tiny glasses. I didn't recognize him.

"Scott," Mom said, "This is our friend Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith, this is our son."

The man offered me his hand. "Nice to meet you, Scott. I've heard plenty of good things."

I took his hand and replied, "Sure."

"This spread looks amazing, Mrs. White, thank you for inviting me," Mr. Smith said as he took a seat.