New Girl

Amara felt out of place. And everyone around her could tell. Her old sneakers looked raggedy in comparison to the group of girls wearing red bottoms. Her pants were faded and did it fit her frame well. She knew she did not fit in here but she did not want to back down. She looked them all in the eye and continued walking down the hallway. She knew she worked harder than any of the kids in this hallway and that gave her a boost of confidence.
"Hello, I need my schedule for my classes?" she said, we voice strong and confident.
"Oh, you must be Amara Rodriguez! Welcome to Las Encinas! I am Griselda the Secretary. Normally the principal Mrs. Muñoz would greet you but I am afraid she is unavailable today but I have your schedule right here!" Amara smiled at the short, blond woman and took the piece of paper from her hands. She smiled as she saw her schedule was purely made up of advanced courses. "Now normally we don't admit students this late in the semester but apparently some donors have offered to pay for one students tuition! I do not have a tour lined up since you were admitted recently but let me see what I can do for you..." The woman looked around and gasped. "Nadia! Please come over here." Amara saw a pretty girl walk over with tan skin and dark curly hair that was braided.
"Ah Ms. Griselda! Did you need anything?" the girl, Nadia, asked.
"Yes! Nadia this is Amara, our new student! I was wondering if you could show her around the school! She is also a top student like you so you probably have classes together!"
"Of course Ms. Griselda. I'll show her around." Nadia smiled at Amara and Amara knew it was genuine.
"Alright girls! I'll leave you to it then! Welcome to Las Encinas Amara!"
"Thank you for your help..." Amara was embarrassed. She had already forgotten the girls name! Yes she was smart, but she was also forgetful. "I'm afraid I forgot your name! This is so awkward I'm sorry!"
"Don't worry about it," the girl chuckled. "My name is Nadia," she laughed.
"Well Nadia, I'm sorry!"
"Don't worry about it, most people here don't even know my name."
"Why do you say that?"
"Well since I am neither rich or popular, I am pretty much nobody in the standards of Las Encinas. Besides, I'm a scholarship kid."
"Well, I guess I'll join the club. I'm also a scholarship kid."
"Oh wow! You didn't peg me as a scholarship kid."
"Why is that?"
"Well you look like a bitch from far away." Amara laughed at Nadia's honesty. She was known to have a serious face. Amara has dark brown hair and eyes that almost looked black. Her facial features were also very sharp which didn't make her look so inviting.
"Thanks... I guess?" Amara laughed. She was so engrossed in the conversation she didn't even notice that she had made it to her first class with Nadia.
"Well here we are... Calculus." Nadia said as she rolled her eyes. Amara was surprisingly good at math so she was excited to learn. Walking in to her class she got multiple stares from the people in the class.
A girl with brown hair and lots of jewelry yelled out "Another one?"
"Lu, please do not be rude" the teacher exclaimed. The girl named Lu settled down and rolled her eyes at the teacher. "Class, this is our new student named Amara. Please welcome her and if you can help her understand where we are in terms of the course? Now Amara please take your seat and let's begin."
Amara walked through the seats and saw an empty chair next to a boy with a shaved head.
"Can I sit here?" Amara asked nicely.
"Sure." The boy said shortly. There were no other seats available so Amara had no choice but to sit to the boy even though he made it seem like he did not want her near him.
"I'm Amara."
"I know," the boy said "the Mr. Richards said it already."
"Oh..." Amara said awkwardly.
"Guzman."
"Huh?"
"That's my name if you were wondering."
"I wasn't wondering actually. Once there's an open seat I'll gladly move since it appears you don't want me here."
"Hm well I guess you aren't so easily shoved around new girl. Welcome to Las Encinas." Guzman smirked and shifted his eyes to the board where Mr. Richards was lecturing about numbers and equations. Amara rolled her eyes and did the same. Boy was she in for a ride.