I Put Somethin' On Your Sonogram

Adam's POV

I laid in bed listening to Mikayla's infectious laugh as she watched TikToks. Today was our appointment. I'd arranged for the best Ob/Gyn Doctor in the state, who also happens to be a friend of mine to take on Mikayla as a patient. If she's not too far along to be showing I'm thinking she may have multiple births. Meaning, there is more than one baby growing in her.

Now don't get me wrong, Mikayla is a firecracker. But given how small her frame is I don't think she'd be able to handle a pregnancy of more than one child at a time. And in some cases that may be hard.

"You know what this means now Adam?" She asked peering up at me over the top of her phone. I raised my brows as if I was asking what.

"Whatever happens to us not only affects the twins but also this child. I refuse to raise this baby without you." She said. "So we have to promise whatever happens between us we can work through it."

"Nothing is gonna tear us apart." I kissed the top of her head. "I promise."
______
"Let's go Mikayla!" I screamed up the stairs. "I swear you'd be the person late to their own funeral." I joked.

"Hey! It's not as easy for me as it is you." She argues walking down the steps putting her hair up.

"The appointment is in fifteen minutes. Get a move on." I urged. She stuck her tongue out at me.

"Can we take the Audi?" She asked with puppy eyes. I looked at her for a little bit and then caved in. "Yeah go get in."

I'd never know what her obsession is with this car, but she never wants to drive it. She just wants to be driven in it.

"Then can we get food. I want a cheesesteak pizza with green peppers and onions." She said with hungry eyes.

"From O'Neill's." We said in unison.
______
Mikayla's POV

"Hey babe." I called out to Adam. "Can I play this song for you?" I asked.

He nodded and pointed at his phone that was sitting in the cup holder. I went through our shared playlist and put on one of my favorite Country music song Live Forever by Kane Brown. Once it started playing I turned it up louder.

⚠️!SONG BELOW!⚠️
It's so good. I promise.

Life was just breathin' in and out
Like a movie with the sound turned down
It felt nothin' like I feel right now
You said "hello" and set the room on fire
Like technicolor in a jet black night
Suddenly the sky's never been so clear
Hey what you doin' in a thousand years?

I started to sing along with the song.

"Since when do you listen to country music?" Adam asked laughing. "I spend too much time with Avery." I said shrugging. "Ooh this is my favorite part!" I squealed.

If life's just wakin' up to
Another day of lookin' at you
If all we get is just to be together
It makes me wanna live forever
You make me wanna live forever

You tell yourself that you'll never grow old
'Til you find the hand you were meant to hold
Now I never wanna see you one last time
I never wanna know a kiss goodbye

"Every time I hear that song I think about you." I smiled looking over at him. By now we were parked in the parking lot at the hospital. "I play it a lot."

"Oh so we have a song I didn't know about?" He asked unbuckling his seat belt. I nodded and he leaned over the console and kissed me. "I love it. And you."

"I love you too." I responded going in for another kiss but he pulled away. "We gotta go in."
______
As we waited in the room for the doctor to bring in our results and do an ultrasound I was a little nervous. Adam seemed to be as cool as a cucumber.

"You're so calm." I laughed looking over at him playing on his phone. He looked up at me and shrugged. "It's nothing to be nervous about. I've done it before."

"What ever happened to the twins' mom? You've never told me about her."

"Not much to tell. We were together when I first got into the Army. We found out she was pregnant during my first deployment, I came home we did all the pregnancy festivities and then right after the baby shower I was deployed again. The pregnancy was high risk. When we had our last appointment before I left they put her in bed rest. We had to sign all this paperwork saying if something were to happen would we save her or the twins. She gave birth and I wasn't there. It took me six weeks to get back." He started getting teary eyed and you could hear it in his voice. "My babies laid in a hospital for six weeks as Baby A and Baby B because she died on the table." I watched as a tear slipped down his face and how he quickly wiped it away.

"She had no family with her, and my parents wouldn't come because we weren't married. But I'll never understand that because I was a baby born out of wedlock. That's one thing I'll have to carry with me for the rest of my life. The fact that she died by herself."

I got off the little bed thingy and made my way over to him. I sat in the chair beside him and held him. "I'm sure you would've been right by her side if you were able to Adam."

We sat there in silence just waiting for the doctor to come back. Adam went back to playing a game on his phone and I sat there watching him. He had just finished a level when a knock came from the door.

"Come in." I called our standing up to get back on the bed. In walked a middle aged black woman who I assumed was the doctor.

"Mr. and Mrs. Paice, you guys are pregnant. We are gonna do a ultrasound to determine how far along and how many fetuses there are." She clarified. I nodded and Adam took out his phone and started recording the screen. He's such a dork.

The doctor started to rub jelly on my stomach and move around the wand on my stomach. After moving it around she paused over a spot.

"Look here." She said pulling my attention to a blob. "This is Baby A." She explained. "And this one is Baby B."

"Congratulations

"Congratulations. You're having twins."

What the fuck?!