t w e n t i e t h

A/N
Let me photooographhh you in this lighttttt in case it's the last timeeeee— anyway.

Adele is Queen. Period.

•••District_279year 02 post great shock •••

•••
District_279
year 02 post great shock
•••

Emma POV

"I'm craving a peanut butter sandwich right about now," I announced quietly to Logan, trying to not disturb the people around us.

He gives me a look.
"We're chained to a wall, about to be shuffled off like cattle to some unknown fate and all you can think of is a sandwich you haven't eaten in like two years."
"Pretty much."
A grin spreads across his face. "I have taught you well my young apprentice."

I roll my eyes. "Who said I wasn't already like this?"
"When I first met you, you threatened to knock my brains out on the pavement if I 'opened my annoying mouth one more time'. Am I wrong?"

My mouth opened than closed and I shrugged. He was right, as always.
"I guess I wasn't used to having fun, or being around people who didn't want something for it."

"You were mentally thirty seven. I have taken my job to turn you back into a teenager very seriously, and I think I have succeeded quite well." Logan said with a self-satisfied smile.

I shook my head, shoving his shoulder.
The irony of it all was almost amusing. When the world was in 'good' shape I was living a hellish reality, and now that everything was destroyed my life was undeniably better.
Just went to show that your happiness and health doesn't have to depend on the things around you, but the people.

And Logan was a billion times better than any cocky arrogant jerk, especially one that got you addicted to nicotine and roughed you up when you didn't comply to his wishes.

"Hey, you okay? You just got real quiet there," Logan said, looking at me with concern.

"Yeah I'm fine. Tired." I lied.
I still hadn't told Logan about my old life. He knew nothing about the addictions, about the parties.
He knew nothing about the many times I had nearly died from overconsumption of alcohol.
And he definitely didn't know about my ex boyfriend.

If all went well he would never have to know. Because once he knew there was no doubt that he would be disgusted with me.
How could he not?
My past behavior was revolting even to me.
There was only so much pretending one could do, only so much faking, denial.

"You don't look fine," Logan persisted.
I frowned.
"I said. I'm. Fine."
He went silent for a few seconds before saying softly in a sing-song voice
"You lyinnnnn' liar liar pants on fireeee"

"Oh my God, Logan." I groaned in exasperation, running a hand through my messy blonde hair.

He grinned.
"When do you think we'll start moving?"
"I'm not sure, all I'm sure of is that I'm starving, I want a shower, and that if you don't cuddle with me right now I'm going to freeze to death."

He laughed. "That wouldn't be so bad, than no one would have to put up with your whining."
"Shut up and hug me."
Logan chuckled, but reached out his arms and wrapped them around me anyway.
Much better.
Warmer.

"Hey, I want a piece of that action," Dani spoke up groggily, having finally waken up from the nap she slipped off into a few hours ago.

"Nu-Uh, you snooze you loose," I cackled evilly.

"Pshh. You just don't want me getting in between you two lovebirds," Dani said with a wicked smirk.

"We're not—" I sighed, facepalming. "Get over here you butt."
"Gladly." Dani scooted over, her arms wrapping around me.
The three of us huddled closer against the chilly air.

I looked at the person across from me. It was a pale black-haired girl, maybe thirteen or so. She was fast asleep, curled up into a ball.
Her shirt did little to cover her body, I could see the bottom of her rib cage clearly, accentuated by her sunken stomach.
She looked so hungry and weak....

Who could be so cruel to be doing this? Weren't things bad enough already?
What did they even have in mind for us- slavery? And if so why were there children here?
Couldn't they at least have spared the young ones?

So many questions swirled in my head but didn't make it out of my lips.
My eyes had begun to flutter closed when the sound of heavy boots on the stone floor snapped me out of my sleepy reverie.

"Eat up," it was piggyback ride man. He was carrying a bucket of bread slices, tossing one to each person. When it came my turn to revive food I caught it swiftly, smiling.
"Hey... piggyback man, old buddy, you wouldn't happen to know what the hell we're doing here, by any chance?"

He shook his head at me, the smallest bit of a smile on his chiseled face.
"As much as I might like you, Crazy, I also value my life and prefer my head to stay on my shoulders,"

Piggyback ride man looked genuinely apologetic. I sighed, nibbling the bread.
But as the man was leaving the room he slipped me an extra slice of the food.

Dani was looking at me, impressed. "What part of yourself did you sell to get in with one of the guards."
I frowned. "Who said I sold any part of myself. I'm just a likable person, what's so hard to believe about that?"
"You and likable? Please, Em. But don't worry," she winked, "I won't judge. Extra food is extra food, you're sharing that right?"

I gave up on trying to persuade her that I actually was telling the truth.
Dani knew a little of my old ways, I could see why she would think I whored myself away for a little extra food. It was, after all, something the old Emma would have done.

I silently ripped the bread into three even pieces, but when I offered Logan his piece he just shook his head, pushing it towards me with his jaw clenched. Who spat in his bean curd?

I shrugged it off, quickly devouring my bread, coughing as I finished it off. Man, that stuff was dry. And stale.

I was licking the last of the crumbs off my fingertips when I heard another set of boots. This time it wasn't piggyback ride man. It was someone who looked meaner, rougher, and a whole lot scarier if I was being 100% honest.

"Get up, lazies. It's time to get a move on." He barked, voice carrying through the cavern.

•••

Let's have a little walk down memory lane, shall we?

This was the first cover on 'glitched'
*sniff*

This was the first cover on 'glitched' *sniff*

How far we've come... it's really unbelievable. Thank you all for following this story with me, voting, and commenting. It means so much to me.