The True Meaning of Cruelty

In the end, [Y/n] did go ahead and pull off her outrageous stunt after all. Vaati was simply overjoyed that their time with those other two was over. He could finally stop using his old master's ungodly name for once. And most importantly, he wouldn't have to bear being anywhere near the princess's knight anymore.

The bridge that crossed the colossal fissure beyond them was held together by nothing but rope. Still, it could not be that unstable if people really came and went from it on a daily basis.

"...Tell me. How are your injuries faring so far?"

[Y/n] looked at him and shook her head. "Don't worry yourself. I'm getting plenty of rest, so there is no need for concern."

"Your eyebrow twitches whenever you bend your back at a certain angle."

"Well, you did knock me against a pillar hard enough that it cracked. But I'm feeling much better each day, Vaati. Really. Look, the good thing is that I'm alive and well, right? And, my back will stop hurting altogether in a day or two anyway."

Why are you smiling at me?

"Do you not realize that I almost killed you?"

"I do. But you were just defending yourself. For all you knew, I was pointing that arrow straight at your face. I would have done the same thing, had our roles been reversed... I know you could have killed me, had you wanted to. But you didn't. You simply did what you had to do to ensure your safety. If you had attacked me, I would have retaliated in self defense, obviously... but at this point, I wouldn't even dream of trying to kill you." She shrugged in an attempt to lighten the mood with her self-deprecating humor. "I have taken enough lives already. I don't need the spirit of an ancient wind sorcerer haunting me as well."

Vaati stayed silent and looked away. Humans could really be so unbelievably stupid...

[Y/n] broke the silence.

"...Paya said that you were crying when you took me into Impa's house. And that you refused to leave my side." [Y/n] was looking up at the sky. "...I know you wouldn't have gone through all that trouble if you didn't care for me at least to some extent... so, thank you."

Vaati's skin crippled with annoyance. "And haven't you thought about the fact that kids tend to blow things out of proportion?" He muttered. "And what is up with your sister gazing at me all the time anyway?" There he went, changing the subject. "Just what did you tell her, [Y/n]?"

She sighed. "Ugh... That." What a pain. "She said she'd heard we'd kissed before, and I explained to her that some people don't necessarily have to be together to have that kind of physical contact. Turns out she'd made it up to get a reaction out of me, but since I assumed you'd bragged about it to her, I inadvertently ended up confirming to her that something had indeed happened." She shook her head.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Any other maiden would have taken the opportunity to boast on what an honor it was to kiss someone such as I. You poor soul."

"Well, it was you who kissed me in the first place." [Y/n] immediately replied. "So I don't think I have much to brag about."

"True. But you asked me to do it again, just as any woman who has ever seen my face would."

"Yes, and look where that brought us. Your ego has no limits, does it? Even a couple men have mistaken you for a woman at times and tried to court you. Until you opened your mouth and they heard your voice, that is." She couldn't help but chuckle upon remembering those experiences. "Their faces changed from dumb smiles to an expression of sheer horror in a split second. You may have a pretty face, but boasting about it may as well be one of the reasons I of all people don't compliment you on your physique out loud much."