epilogue.

EPILOGUE. IN THE FLESH

   IN THE FLESH

1919

SHE STARES DOWN AT THE LETTER GIDDILY. A wide smile refuses to drop from her lips. Her fingers grip the pen with an intensity. The messy handwriting on the parchment stares up at her, repeating itself in her mind. Dropping her pen on the desk, she rests her chin against her palm. A knock at her bedroom door grabs her attention. Glancing back, she watches her older brother peek into the room. "'Nother letter from your boyfriend." He hands her the envelope with a playful smirk.

"He's not my boyfriend, idiot." She snags the envelope from him. "Now, get out of my room."

"Yes, Mum." He laughs as he leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

The moment the door is closed, she begins opening the letter. Yet another one to add to her collection. As soon as her letter is free, the envelope falls to the floor, forgotten. Her eyes scan over the messy handwriting like it's the best news she's gotten in years - and it is. A giddy smile overcomes her features as she reads over each sentence with precise care. 'I can hardly wait to see you again.' She can almost hear his voice.

Clutching the letter to her chest, she almost squeals in excitement. For the first time in forever, she has a date. A date with a man who knows her true self. A date with a man who wouldn't stand her up or forget about her. She pushes herself away from the desk, collapsing onto the bed with a dreamy sigh.

Her eyes stared up at the smooth beige ceiling. Her pale green room felt more homey than her childhood bedroom ever had. There was an air of happiness about it. Picture frames and paintings littered the walls; but only one photo remained on her nightstand. The photo of the German woman and child stared at her every morning and every night. It was a stark reminder of what she had seen and what she had been through. She refused to let herself forget.

The door opened up again. "You want any dinner? I'm making spaghetti." Alex smiled down at his sister. He loved her more than anything, and it was clear in his eyes. His heart had always held a special place for the girl. Though he didn't want to admit favorites, Mags had always been the one he found himself favoring. Eliza was her mother's daughter, picking up nearly every trait their mother had. And that was why she refused to speak to them anymore.

"No, thank you." Mags smiled, pushing herself in a sitting position on her bed. "I have a date tomorrow." Her wide and toothy smile was contagious to the older boy. "What should I even wear? I haven't even thought of that! Oh, God!" She pushes herself off of the bed. Her feet carry her over to the closet as she begins rooting through her gowns and outfits. "What if I wear something he hates? Or what if I look stupid in it? Maybe I should wear trousers. Or is that too casual?"

"Maggie," Alex chuckles, approaching his sister with an air of gentleness, "he's going to be completely blown across the pond when he sees you. You could show up in a fucking potato sack and I think he'd propose on the spot."