Author's Note

Hi all, it's me again! I'd just like to thank you one last time for giving this story a chance, and another time for finishing it! Thanks for supporting me, I hope to see you again reading another of my stories!
Farewell for now!

This is just an extra little reason for the story, feel free to skip it!:
I chose to write this story after completing the writing prompt “Inferno”, based on a media article about the Australian bushfires. It is not so much a prediction of the future, but rather a prelude to what may happen if humankind doesn't ‘get off their backsides’ and do something to stop, or at least dramatically slow down, climate change. It is also a plea to the future, and the people currently holding power, to stop climate change.

I chose to write in third person because of the book “Corrosion”, which focuses greatly on humanity and what may happen if we lose focus of the truly important things in life, such as what makes us human (compassion, etc), and because both teachers recommended it. I made the decision to base the story on climate change because of the ever present possibility that the world will reach a tipping point, and because people need to realise that if we don’t do something to stop climate change soon, it might be too late. I ended the story with an inscription in stone to the future for dramatic effect, but also because I thought it would make the story stick in people's heads, and that maybe because of this they may become more aware of their carbon footprint. The title “The 300” was chosen because the future depends on the survival of those remaining 300 people. 

Some challenges that I faced whilst writing included incorporating speech into my text, which is a big weakness of mine when it comes to creative narrative writing. 

Thanks to the writing prompt “Inferno”, I did not have difficulty starting my story, but I was unsure how it would end. I played around with a few different story lines and endings before receiving a narrative structure sheet and thinking of a new storyline and ending. I decided on an inscription for the ending of the narrative as I believe it delivers a powerful message to the reader.

I often found that once I found a rhythm in writing, I did not want to stop as it was enjoyable, and even I wanted to see how the story would actually play out.