Chapter 12

A blight? I had remembered Marcus saying something about how magic was harder to wield than it once was.

"My collapse along with the leaf falling is proof enough," the king went on. He pointed a finger at Marcus. "I don't know the prophecy as well as you do. Take my son, and take the savior, and do what you must. If magic is dying, you best find a way to save it boy, understand?"

Marcus nodded.

"My resources are yours. The three of you will leave in the morning."

"I'm going as well." The words that had come out of my mouth surprised me just as much as everyone else in the room. Wide eyes stared at me.

"Absolutely not, human," the king spat.

I didn't try to hide my glare. "I am. Whether you guys like it or not, you wrongfully brought me into this mess, along with my best friend. If she has to go to fulfill an ancient prophecy that you didn't even believe until five minutes ago, I'm going with her."

Fire raged in the king's eyes. I had a feeling he wasn't used to being questioned. Especcially by a human. He looked as if he would smite me on the spot, but the queen reached over and put a hand over his.

He looked at her, then back to me. Then he leaned back in his seat, muttering something that sounded like, "Your funeral."

I realized I had been holding my breath. I let it out. Elizabeth reached out and squeezed my hand. I was thankful for the comfort, but I couldn't take my eyes of her marks.

Marcus was the one to protest next. "She'll just get in our way and slow us down. Probably get us killed too."

"That's my choice to make," I snapped at him. He had the same reaction as the king.

Marcus opened his mouth to continue, but it was Gwydion who shut him down next.

"She said she was coming, and that's the end of it, Marcus." I'm not sure how Gwydion made his name sound like an insult. Marcus backed down. Even with the king's blessing on our journey, he'd be stupid to back talk his son.

The king watched Gwydion with careful eyes. Finally he said, "Very well. You four should get to bed. We'll have copies of the maps sent to your chambers in the morning, along with pack and provisions."

And with that, we were dismissed. Elizabeth was shaking as we left. "I can't believe you spoke to him like that."

I chuckled, shaking a bit myself. "I still can't either."

Valeria pulled Elizabeth away, saying she had something for her to help control her newly found magic, leaving Gwydion and I alone in the hall.

Motioning down the wall, he said, "Allow me to escort you to your room."

I was about to say that I did not need an escort, but I was not sure if I could navigate the labyrinth of the castle.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" he asked me.

I shook my head. Then nodded. "Yes." He looked at me with concern. I wondered if he was thinking that I shouldn't go on the quest with them. "I know I'm just a human, but if there's anything I can do to help Elizabeth-help magic, then I want to do it."

"I wish we had more time to train you," he said.

Before he could continue, another man fell into step with us, shit eating grin on his face. He looked slightly older than me. He had shining gold hair, shaggy and messy, but it fit. I noticed the marks on his cheeks were a deep brown, meaning he must be a member of the Spring Court.