•2•

After I finally took off my cap and mask, I twitched my ears happily before beginning my trek up. I exhaustively pulled myself up the familiar ladder steps with a huff each time. I couldn't wait to finally eat the bags of chips I bought from the convenience store. It was my meal of the day!

I got to the last step and was about to pull myself up... until I noticed a pair of feet, directly in front of my eyes.

Letting out a gasp at the sudden appearance of a person, my grip slipped and my balance was instantly lost. I couldn't catch the ladder in time and slipped backwards.

I'm going to die! This tree is freaking tall and I'm going to die and I won't get to eat my chips and I never got to taste ice cream and-

A hand suddenly wrapped around my arm and immediately hoisted me up like I weighed nothing. I was basically swung up high and landed into the person's chest. I could tell it was a male due to the prominent muscled build of their chest and arms wrapped around me.

In the next second, I was suddenly pushed away from the person's chest as they held me at arm's length.

It was a young man. He had an innocent face but a very strong build. He clearly had cheetah printed ears and tail that was swishing behind him. I didn't get to study him longer as I noticed there was way more company with him.

I quickly scanned the other faces. There were seven in total. All male.

My alarm bells were basically sirens as I felt panic flood my system. My breathing sped up, my limbs quivered, my hands shook aggressively as tears begin to appear in my eyes.

I'm scared.

I started to digress into my inner animal as I felt weak, vulnerable, and exposed.

We were on a very tall tree for peat sake! I can't escape this. I let out a sob since I couldn't hold it in anymore.

"No no no, shh. Shh. Please don't cry. Please calm down!" One of the males spoke up in a gentle voice. I was instantly soothed by it. But why? I stopped sobbing, but I released hiccups as a couple tears still flowed down. The young man who was holding my arms began to gently rub my skin and it calmed me down a bit more.

I was able to stop the tears, but still released small quivers in my body at the tension I was feeling.

Thumbs suddenly swiped the tears from my eyes, and I winced. Upon opening my eyes, I could see clearly again. There were the males' worried faces. I felt fear rise up again but the one with snow leopard ears soothingly shushed me again before I could start.

"That's right. Shh. It's okay, sweetie. Deep breaths for us."

I regained my breathing as I apprehensively glanced at the males for any sudden movements.

"We aren't going to hurt you. We promise that. First we need you to calm down before we explain ourselves."

I nodded slowly before closing my eyes and taking a deep breath before reopening them.

"Alright. That's good. Hi. It's nice to meet you... mate."

At the word 'mate', it triggered my brain to suddenly start chanting the word.

Mate.

Mate.

Mates.

"W-what? H-hold on j-just a moment. What?"

"You're our final mate. We finally found you." The fox spoke up.

I stared at them shocked. No way. No freaking way. I actually found my mates? I thought I wouldn't have any.