14 - Pinch hitter

Pinch hitter: A substitute batter. Often brought in during a critical situation (a "pinch") to replace a weak batter or as a situational substitute.

 Often brought in during a critical situation (a "pinch") to replace a weak batter or as a situational substitute

Present day...

Her phone rang so many times, he was expecting her voicemail when she answered.

"So you and the model are done?" she asked without greeting him.

"It was never what it seemed."

She wanted to ask why, but deep down she knew the answer would be like why she wasn't emotionally invested in her relationship with Brandon. He was angry with her, because she refused to join him on a trip to The Cape with his frat boys. She didn't like them, especially Paul who had moved on from Kim, but not alcohol.

"And you're calling me to tell me the real reason they scratched you. By the way, Carlos is calling a good game."

She hoped to get a rise out of him by praising his replacement who was a decent catcher, but had a batting average below two-fifty. Two hits in ten attempts wouldn't help win games.

"I need a favor... I... um might have volunteered you by mistake."

"For what? Baseball consultant! I'm in!"

He laughed. "You wish. Seriously, the wives are writing a book for kids learning to read and you have experience so..."

"I'm not one of the wives. I wouldn't fit in."

"Kenze, they asked me first if Sabrina would help. Could you just go to the meeting? It's for a good cause."

Was he begging? She could have fun teasing him. She had seen those wives. They always wore expensive clothes with their huge diamonds. They performed volunteer work while she dodged snot and vomit. Her pride told her her education and experience could help them. She could save the day or they could eat her alive.

Not willing to give in too easy, she demanded, "Tell me why you were scratched."

He sighed. "It's nothing. My hammy's a little tight. It's being treated now."

"Don't push it!" She remembered when he missed half of his freshman season because he pushed himself too hard. He had wanted to prove he was a better catcher than Danny and ended up losing out.

"I know. I'm not eighteen and stupid."

The words, you were never stupid, were on the tip of her tongue. Instead she said, "You are for going out with that woman."

"Listen, the whole city thinks I'm nursing a broken heart. That's punishment enough."

"The city! Try the state and a few others too."

"And you agreed to be my friend again. So just put me out of my misery. Will you help me or not?"

"What would I need to do?" she asked reluctantly.