Chapter 33

Hakeem didn't realize that he'd slowed down considerably until, just before they reached the place where they'd started running, Brother Mika'il ran right past him in his old man slow run.

What!? Hakeem thought in despair. How is this possible? Try as he may, he could not catch up to Brother Mika'il who seemed to be doing just great. When they stopped at the car for a break, Hakeem sat down to catch his breath. Although he didn't really want to win, and had planned for Brother Mika'il to 'beat' him. He wanted it to look like Brother Mika'il won. Not for him to actually win.
Brother Mika'il was still bouncing on his toes as though he was ready to keep going. Hakeem looked up at him from the ground and shrugged. Brother Mika'il had beat him fair and square and looked like he was only just warming up.

"Great run." Hakeem said enthusiastically. He stood up and opened the trunk of his car where he'd stored some cold waters in a cooler. He handed one to his elder and then sat back down on the ground to guzzle the entire bottle. Brother Mika'il only took a few swigs and then put the bottle back in the trunk.

"Don't sit down yet. You haven't seen the top of the mountain." He took off running again, slower this time and waited for Hakeem to catch up to him at the foot of the great granite mountain. "This was one of my favorite places growing up." Brother Mika'il started the conversation. Hakeem's ears perked up. Whatever he could learn to get in good with Brother Mika'il would help him get closer to his ultimate goal- Malika. And anything to take his mind and leg muscles off the torture of climbing the mountain after running five miles around it was a welcome distraction.

"A beautiful life does not just happen, Hakeem. You have to prepare for it. Just like for today. You may be able to get through something by sheer strength of will, but you enjoy the journey more if you prepare for it."

Hakeem nodded. Brother Mika'il was dropping gems. Hakeem didn't have to pretend to listen, he always gave an attentive ear to someone who knew more than him and wanted to share.

"We build our lives by daily worship, humility, sacrifice, hard work, and submission. But life is like a marathon. You've got to give it all you've got if you want to make it successfully to the end. You'll also need a few tools, some training, and know how. At times, us old folk may know a thing or two and can help you youngins out." Brother Mika'il gently patted Hakeem's shoulder in a fatherly manner.

"Pace yourself," he advised. This time Hakeem listened to the advice from his elder. They worked as a team, climbing over boulders, jumping crevices, finding the best places to step, and giving each other a hand up in steep places. At times Brother Mika'il led their way up. At times, he stepped back and Hakeem led the way.

When they finally reached the top, Hakeem looked around with a big goofy grin on his face. It was glorious at the top! Hakeem stood, arms outstretched, and spun in a slow circle. The sun shone bright on his head. He tipped his head back to feel it's warmth on his face and breathed deeply. After a few minutes, he joined Brother Mika'il who was seated cross legged on the solid rock with his eyes shut.

"Perfect place to meditate." He said without opening his eyes. Hakeem was used to meditating from his Ninjitsu martial arts training classes. He sat near Brother Mika'il with his legs folded comfortably beneath him. He'd never meditated on the top of a mountain, and the feeling of being at one with nature was invigorating. He felt that his body was just an extension of the rock. He straightened his back and settled into the feeling of peaceful presence of mind. Ya Lateef! The Subtle. The One who shows grace and knows our exterior and our innermost self. He began to call on God in his mind, breathing in and out in measured counts. He used others of the Beautiful Names of Allah on different occasions in his meditation, but this morning, "Ya Lateef," was pulling him. He inhaled, "Yaaaaaaaaa," for four beats of his heart. Then exhaled, "Lateeeeeeeef," for eight counts. He cleared his mind of all things except the gratitude and calm he felt in that moment. His heart filled with peace and his whole body was in tune with his heart.

When Brother Mika'il opened his eyes, he was surprised to see that Hakeem was not fidgeting. His body was perfectly still. His eyes were closed and his breathing was slow and even. He seemed in perfect peace. Brother Mika'il had to admit to himself that he was impressed with Hakeem so far. He'd made it around the mountain and then all the way up. And after all that rigorous exercise, he was then able to center himself in meditation. He'd done well so far, but would Hakeem be able to pass the next test?