The bet (1/2)

It was a peaceful morning, the sun shone bright through the tall trees of the forest.

You walked slowly in the direction of your destination, wanting to practice the abilities that you have mastered in the pass of the centuries, since there was nothing better to do.

You weren't a Neighbor, but you weren't human either: you grew up in that same forest and since you were little you had a lot of encounters with all kind creatures, but you knew better not to make pacts with them. Everyday you practiced your powers, since you wanted to protect your home alongside the Neighbors, using your power of controlling water to extinguish wildfires.

As a gentle smile grew on your face you reached your little paradise: a plain surrounded by the tall trees with a small pond of crystal water in the center. It was a small place, but it made you feel protected in the arms of your home.

You sat down near the clear water and began creating beautiful shapes with the shining water of the pond.

After an hour or so, while concentrated to keep the water mid air and shaping it in all kind of forms, you started hearing a faint sound in the distance while a light breeze made its way through the trees, bringing the scent of unknown flowers.

In a blink you saw the cause of the commotion: before your eyes was the Queen of the Faerie, Titania.

You had met her for the first time a long time ago, and after countless encounters, as an ancient spirit yourself, you established a relationship of mutual respect with her and her husband.

As you stood up, you gazed at her beautiful appearance, she approached you.

"Good morning, Y/n"

"Good morning, your Majesty" you said smiling at her "what brings you to the human realm?"

"Actually, I was searching for you, my dear" she said as a smile formed on her pure face.
You gazed at her with a questioning look.
"I wanted to ask a favor of you: there are a few important duties that I have to accomplish in my kingdom, but the problem is my fool of a husband... he simply won't stop pestering me" she huffed bringing a hand to her temples, "And I saw that he has taken a liking to you".

"I didn't mean to cause problems to you, Titania!" you faintly blushed as you tried to explain.

"Fufufu, that's not what I meant" she said smiling, "We faeries don't feel emotions such as jealousy as humans do, I wouldn't mind if he found interest in another being. What I wanted to ask is: could you please entertain my husband until the end of this day? It will be a really stressful day for me and I will really appreciate your help" she had a calm expression, but I could feel the fatigue in her voice.

"If that's the case I don't really mind! It will be a pleasure to help you!" You answered with a bright smile as the Queen exhaled a breath of relief.
"I must really thank you Y/n, I don't know what I would have done without-"

"Titaniaaaaa!~"

"Oh no, there he is" she said as she hid her face behind her hand.
As soon as the faun saw her, he started sprinting from behind the bushes.
"Here you are my beautiful wife!" he said with a smile plastered on his beaming face. As he jumped to tackle the female from behind she quickly moved aside, letting the poor King fall face on the ground.

"Ow~ Titania you're so mean!" he said rubbing his nose with his hands.

"This is the fourth time this morning, when will you stop doing that?" she said with an unamused expression on her face.
"But you've been avoiding me since this morning! I've been so bored, how could you be so-" as his eyes locked on yours he stopped his wining, a cheshire smile spreading on his face.

"My cute little robin!!" He said as he tackled you in a tight hug, his face hiding in the crook of you neck.
"It's good to see you too, Oberon" you said blushing "but could you please loosen your grip, I'm starting to miss oxygen!"
"I don't wanna~ You're so soft and warm and I really missed you- ow, ow, OW!! It hurts! Stop iiit!" He said as Titania pulled his hair.
She huffed at him, letting his hair go, "And you stop crushing her!".
As his husband was rubbing his head with teary eyes, she once more turned to you, with a small frown "I don't want to burden you, but as you can see I'm in a desperate need for help"

You stared at her for a moment, as a bright smile crept on your face "I can see the problem here, and I'm more than happy to help you Titania! He can be a pain in the ass-"
"Hey!"
"-but I really enjoy his presence. You can count on me, your majesty!" You said with a small playful bow.

Finally for the first time a happy smile appeared on her face "For real? Oh, thank you so much Y/n!" She said as she grabbed your face with her hands and planting a small kiss on your forehead.

With rosy cheeks you smiled at her as Oberon watched the two of you "That's not fair! Why does only Y/n get the attention?" He said with a small pout on his face. You laughed at the cute face that the faun was making, with a beaming smile you went to him and reached the top of his head, stroking gently, as a lovable expression appeared on his face.

"I have an idea!" you said distancing from him, "let's make a bet!".

He looked at you with curiosity, "Uh? What kind of bet?"
"We'll play a game! We'll stay on the branches of the threes and the last that touches the ground wins!" His face lit up in a second "And who loses?"
You brought a finger to your lips, thinking for a moment, then bringing it up in the air, "If you win I'll have to follow you in Tír na nÓg!"
He stared at you for a moment, before smiling mischievously, with the corner of his eye he glanced at his wife, she was making his same expression.

"And what if you win?" You looked directly in his golden eyes "You have to promise me that you will stop pestering Titania when you're bored" you extended your arm with a gleaming smile.

"Deal?"

He grabbed your hand with his two, shaking it fiercely, "Deal! Deal! What are we waiting for? Let's start right away!" He said dragging you towards the trees as you stumbled trying to keep up with his pace.

"Ah! Oberon! Slow down! I haven't said goodbye to Titania!!" As you looked back, you saw her smiling at you while waving her hand "Have a nice day, Y/n!" With that said, she vanished in a split second.

As you returned your attention to the King, a smile crept on your face: it will be a long, long day.