I.

The monster took quick, shallow, breaths, and each one did not help to calm her down.

        She should be used to it.

        In fact, she was used to it.

        But each day of the routine, each reunion with the sight of the circus tent, and each session did not make her any less terrified.

        The memories of the whippings before each entrance, the loud noises, the shouting, and perhaps even worse, the terrified and pained whines and moans of other creatures similar yet vastly different to herself, each one brought more of the tremors each day, and she could not imagine a future free from these relentless sights and sounds.

        The truck on which her cage laid started to bounce on a rocky road, hinting their location to be nearing the circus tent. The bars on her cage were close together, yet far enough for her to slip her horned head through. Her horns pushed the blanket covering her cage a few inches away, enough for her to see the sight of the circus tent in the distance that, as always, brought her chills.

        She retreated her head back inside and settled in one of the few dusty corners, curling up and trembling as she always would before each session.

        After several minutes of laying, trembling, and shallow breathing, everything fell away into darkness.

        She could, at least, commend herself for staying quiet, unlike the other countless beasts in the truck whose terrified moans she could hear even unto the depths of her slumber.

------------------------------------------------------------------

        Her cage shook with the tremor of a fall, the abrupt shock awakening her. She didn't bother getting up, only waiting for the expected ray of light to reflect on the blankets upon her cage.

        In the circus, each ray did not bring hope, but only despair. And as it shone onto her blanket, which was then pulled harshly off her cage, it only solidified that idea as the sneering face each monster feared appeared within her view.

        "Stand up, beast," spat the merciless man, his saliva grossly spitting out. It was fitting, for a man as disgusting as him.

        She stood up, not really having any freedom to do otherwise. Rather, not wanting to face the consequences of doing otherwise.

        In such a place, freedom is nonexistent.

        The gate of the bars opened, and the man beckoned her to get out. Hesitantly, she stepped out and was immediately grabbed by the cuff like a mere animal, and dragged to the fenced area all the other beasts were in.

        As the man let go, she crumpled down to the ground and made no effort to get up. More and more beasts were dragged into the fenced area, and as the last one to be brought snapped at the man's hands, he only grinned wickedly before turning around and entering the safety of his tents.

        Around the fenced area, they were surrounded by quite large tents belonging to the circus staff, as said staff peeked out every once in a while to keep the monsters in check.

        'They do not need to be kept in check,' she thought bitterly. As she glanced around the area, she only caught sight of helpless creatures with no energy to even stand up.

        Perhaps...

        "They are the true monsters."

        She flinched, slowly turning around to face the speaker. What captive beast would have the guts to speak about their captors this way?