Chapter 7 - One Last Time

"Maria, is it okay if you walked with me one more time?""I'd love too. Jason, will you be coming too? You must be so heartbroken that Evelyn's leaving.""Don't be silly, I'm happy for her..."Jason let out a sigh. His face winced. It must be so hard for him."Maria, I'm leaving too. I am going to work with Edward and he agreed that if I work hard, I can send meat back to the orphanage.""Oh, you too. We're going to miss your helping hands.""Don't worry Maria, the children are all growing, there will be plenty of helping hands in no time. Just wait for the wonderful food I'm going to send back.""Thanks in advance, you always look out for us. Now, where did my silly girl want to go?""The rooftops. I have always loved that place, it was always the place I felt most free, seeing the sun in the morning and the bright stars at night.""You're the brightest star silly."I grabbed Maria's hand, and with a quick swing, I pulled Jason's arm and ran up the stairs. It only took minutes before we had reached the old wooden door. I gripped onto the cold knob and twisted it and together we bolted out. "So much has changed here." "And more will come, just like how Jason and you about to change your lives.""I hope it doesn't change that much, or I might not remember how to come back."The roof was empty, rough and sandy, with a large black fence that spread across the entire square block. The sisters had told us it was to protect us from falling, but I felt like it was a cage, it prevented us from walking freely and having our feet dangling over the edge. But I loved it here, it was where I could escape and lose my mind, imagining how the stars were always watching over us. I hoped that they would watch over Maria while I was gone. "Silly, this place is going to change a lot, but if you have the will, you will always make it back.""I would add that you should embrace change, it will allow you to grow, and see the world in a new light.""Thanks, Maria, you always bring the best out of every situation. I promise I will always keep your words to my heart."I didn't have much time left, and there was still one thing I wanted to do before I left."Maria, before I go. Are you able to tell me one more story?""Of course, once...""It would be a bonus if I could hear it in our bedroom."I guided Maria and Jason down the stairs, and back into our bedroom. This had my home for my entire life, and I couldn't believe that I was going to leave it behind. I lay back against the against my bed, feeling the rough, sandy sheet swallow me, as my weight was barely supported by the thin metal bars for the last time. Maria came and sat next to me. Stroking my hair, she began."Are you guys ready?"I gave Maria a slight nod. I couldn't believe this was going to be the last time I would hear a story from her. "Once upon a time...there were four kids. Their names were Jason, Kirsten, Evelyn, and Clarke. They lived at an orphanage. They were happy, they adored everything they had. One day on the first day of the month, it was adoption day. This was an important day, as orphans were given a chance to leave. Three of them took all their time in the morning to get ready, but there was one silly girl who did the complete opposite. She had the belief that if she didn't look like the others, that she didn't look as pretty, then no one would notice her.This silly chook even took the time to smear dirt on her face, and roll herself in the dirt to be unseen. But little did she know that because she looked different more and more people were interested in her. She was sincere, and she appreciated the little things around her. She was not the type that would waste her resources on silly things of trying to look cleaner, more appealing. She understood how hard it was to get water and it was better in the tummy then being wasted to clean her clothes and look good.It was a really special day, as all four kids got adopted, not a single one was left behind. They each had their own unique way of getting adopted. One even left right away, while another boasted and sold himself to his parentsBut two silly chooks went back to their sister, asking her to take them for a walk around the school for memories. They were very grateful for everything that was given to them, as a result, they journey around the orphanage taking snapshots of all the best part and when they finally were happy. They left.""What happens to them after they leave?""Well, Evelyn, you are going to have to come back and tell me the rest. I do not know what the future holds, but you did promise you'll come back. I'll wait for you to tell me the rest.""Okay, once I get the opportunity I will definitely come back and tell you what happened? I'll write down everything that happens and let you know point by point of what has happened once I come back""I look forward to it, I know you will be fine! Now, was there anywhere else you would like to visit, we can't keep your parents waiting.""Just one more, the backyard.""All right then, let's go." Stepping down the stairs, I could feel that I was going to leave her soon. I hope I will be able to come back one day. I have to. Maria will be waiting. It didn't take long at all before we were on the bottom floor, it was too quick. We made a left and out through a door was the playground.It was rather empty today, not a single kid was here compared to the usual liveliness of the place. I have never seen it so quiet before. I stepped out onto the hard surface, feeling the sand crumble under my feet. "I am going to miss this place." "It must be hard for you, this was your favorite place. I remember seeing you here playing marbles, and then joining the other kids running around."This was my favourite place. I use to walk, run, and play games with the other kids here. It was where I played tips and stuck in the mud. I especially loved stuck in the mud, because it allowed me to challenge myself against the baddie to help save the others that were stuck.It was also here that I won my first ever medal. The fastest seven-year-old."Come on now, I know it's hard for you but it's time to go."Maria was right, I just needed to remember what this meant to me, my entire childhood was here. But slowly I turned around and walked out, this really was going to be the last time I would be here.