→ twenty-one

Kol watched the couple sneak away with narrowed eyes, scoffing at the indecency of the pair as they slipped through the doors unnoticed by everyone else. 

"I hope you're behaving yourself," Rebekah's voice pulled Kol's gaze away from the door as he turned towards the female Mikaelson.

"Always, sister," Kol smirked much to Rebekah's annoyance as she grabbed a glass of champagne from the table beside them.

"I mean it, Kol," Rebekah pointed at her younger brother threateningly, although it did nothing to scare Kol. "Don't mess with today."

With her final warning, Rebekah left him alone as she headed across the room toward Elijah. Kol watched her back disappear in the mass as he scowled back, annoyed at being ordered around when he wasn't even doing anything.

Deciding he was sick of being treating that way and wanting something interesting to entertain himself for the night, Kol quietly made his way out of the ballroom and followed the newly married couple to their new destination. Kol figured he could cause a bit more mischief for the married couple before they departed from their lives completely.

He followed the couple's scent across the manor to the library. Kol was impressed by how fast they were able to get across the manor as he approached the door, listening to what lay behind the door. Kol burrowed his eyebrows together, confused by the lack of noise coming from the library. All he could hear was the shuffling of feet and a heavy heartbeat beating faster with every passing second.

Deciding there was no harm in bursting in, as he didn't think he would see anything indecent, Kol strolled through the doors just in time to witness Angel stabbing the throat of her newly wedded husband. Even she looked shocked at her actions as the knife slipped through her fingers and clattered to the floor. 

"Oh my god," Angel whispered as she held her mouth over her hand in horror as she seemed to realize what she had done. "No, no, no."

Angel muttered repeatedly as she fell to her knees, grabbing her husband in her hands as she tried to stop the blood pouring out of his neck even though it was a fruitless action.

His blood was everywhere.

Angel realized this as she pulled her hand away, noticing the red substance staining her once innocent hands. The blood seemed to be seeping everywhere as everything began to refocus for Angel.

"Oh my god," Angel's shaky voice snapped Kol out of his initial shock as he sped over to her, kneeling down so he was at her level.

Angel didn't seem to realize Kol was even there as she wiped the blood on her hands against her silky wedding dress in a frantic manner, forever staining the white fabric with her husband's blood. It wasn't until Kol reached out and gripped Angel's hands to stop her that her eyes finally snapped up to meet his.

"Kol," Angel sobbed as she threw her arms around his neck and cried into his shoulder. 

Kol hesitated before he wrapped his arms around the sobbing girl as he stared at the dead body over her shoulder in disbelief. Never in a million years did Kol believe Angel could bring herself to kill someone else, much less her husband. 

"He was- he had-," Angel choked on her sobs as she found it a struggle to breathe. "He had a white oak stake. I couldn't-"

It wasn't until Kol heard her words that everything clicked into place. The Mikaelsons were finally about to die, and Angel Knight had saved them.

When it had come down to it, Angel had chosen the Mikaelsons over her husband.

"Hey, hey, hey," Kol whispered as he pulled away from her enough to finally see her face. He cupped her face in his hands as his thumbs caressed her cheeks, wiping away the tears trailing down her face. "You did what you had to do, Angel."

"You don't get it," Angel scoffed, a bit of her old self seeping through her grief. Kol had never cared enough about anything or anyone to feel the grievances she did.

"I know I don't," Kol muttered much to her surprise, enough to render her silent for a few moments as the only sound filling the library was her labored breaths. "But I'm here. Right now. Whatever you need."

Angel nodded her head slowly as she leaned into the vampire, allowing him to wrap his arms around her as she found herself unable to do anything. She simply sat numbly in his arms until exhaustion overtook her and she slowly fell asleep in his arms.

Kol kept her wrapped in his embrace, even after he listened to her pumping heart slow until she was fast asleep. He couldn't stop staring at the corpse of her dead husband and the blood that pooled around his body. For once in his life, Kol wasn't focused on the blood seeping into the carpet or going on a rampage. Instead, he tried to understand what the gut-wrenching feeling in his stomach was.

It wasn't until that moment that Kol Mikaelson finally understood that Angel truly was part of the Mikaelson family and she would do anything for them.

Even if it meant killing the man she loved.