Chapter Forty Three

"Good morning bubba!" Kyrie said ecstatically, sitting up on the bed and reaching her arms out for Carter who was trying desperately to get himself out of Christopher's arms and into hers.

"Hi boo," she smiled at him as he landed in her grasp before rubbing their noses together.

"Good morning Carter." Royalty greeted as she crawled up behind Kyrie. She had spent the night in her parents' bed and had to give a million and one reasons as to why she should stay there because Christopher wasn't having it. Ever since Kyrie got home he hadn't really gotten any alone time with her since Royalty, Carter, and Cree were always in her face.

Cree rolled himself onto his stomach and started to whine on queue. Christopher came around and picked him up.

"It sucks not getting attention, huh?" He said as he placed him on his shoulders. "Can we go get something to eat? I'm hungry."

"Can we have waffles for breakfast? Pretty please?" Royalty requested as she slid off the bed, batting her eyelashes.

"Sounds good to me." Chris grinned as he lifted her up by her left arm. Squealed and held onto his side. He placed an arm under her while his other hand was on Cree's back to keep him from falling back.

"You need fruit to go with your breakfast, Ms. Royalty," Kyrie spoke up, standing up from the bed with Carter hugging onto her while her hands are holding him up from under him.

"What's wrong with what she wants?"

"You need something healthy to balance out all that sugar and fat Chris. You know that. What's your fruit of choice Royalty?"

"Uhm... I want an apple."

"That works. You want me to slice it with peanut butter for you?"

Royalty's eyes lit up, "Yes please!"

All 5 of them started to make their way downstairs. Kyrie's eyes darted down the hall towards where Joyce's room was when as they were walking to the kitchen. Joyce, who's overstayed her what was supposed to be a 2-week stay had finally left last week. She had been in and out for a couple of months; sometimes she stayed for 3 weeks and then disappeared for another 4. Both Kyrie and Christopher didn't think too much of it because neither of them cared about what she could be doing.  They just wanted her out for good and when she informed them she was going back to Virginia last week, they couldn't be happier.

Christopher set Royalty down on the kitchen island and handed over Cree to Kyrie. Kyrie got both the boy situated in their matching high chairs and picked up a few small discarded toys that were on the tiled kitchen floor for them to distract themselves while she and Chris got started on breakfast.

Christopher, who had gotten the hang of cooking over the past few weeks, was already halfway through making pancake batter to load into the waffle maker when Kyrie was done peeling 2 apples to be cut in small chunks for all 3 of the kids to share.

"Have you talked to Kombucha?" Chris asked making Kyrie laugh. He always made up creative alternatives to Kamiyah's name.

She shook her head, "No. I made it very clear to her that we aren't friends anymore. Have you talked to Derrick?"

"Mhm. He said he's planning on moving out of their apartment."

Kyrie's eyes widened. She knew Kamiyah and Derrick were on thin ice, everyone knew that. Both of them just didn't seem to be as in sync as they were before. It did make Kyrie a little uncomfortable knowing that indirectly she was the cause of it since Kamiyah's odd infatuation with her had gone too far. She just didn't think that they would split so soon after the trip.