To Have Nothing

A/N: Hey there, readers. It has literally been almost a full year since I updated. March 26 will mark a year since I posted the last chapter and I am so sorry about that. I got super busy, plus my life got crazy and I had that play to do and the second it was over, I hopped right on board to do another one. Then during the performances for that one, I got very sick. This was back in July/August of 2019. I had a very bad infection in my throat that resulted in me visiting the hospital three times and a separate walk-in clinic to make a fourth visit. Eventually I got better and then once I did, I had some job hunting to do. So my life has seriously been all over the place and my mental health has been up and down and I got writer's block and then eventually lost all interest in writing because of my depression. But now I'm back....I HOPE. Bear with me. I love you all. MWAH!

"Not only is it illegal, but it is extremely dangerous. Especially if one of us gets caught." Alice argued with FP on their way down to the car.

FP went to the passenger side, opening the door for Alice to climb into her car while he spoke. "And I agree with you, Alice. I'm not saying that it's something I would do, but I'm just saying that if they DID do it right...it'd be a pretty great plan to pull off."

Alice pulled the car door shut before FP could close it and she put her hat back on. FP walked around the front of the car to get into the driver's seat. "They've got guts, I'll give them that." Alice admitted once FP started the car. "To even think of something like that and share it with other people."

"Especially us. They know we can't stand them." FP pointed out.

"Right?" Alice softly laughed before looking to Tom who had followed them all the way down the stairs outside of Lodge Manor to stand there and eavesdrop on the others' conversation. "Aren't you going home, Tom?" She asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, um...yes. You two have a good rest of your morning." Tom nodded to them once before going over to his own vehicle and climbing in. He watched as FP and Alice drove off before he got out of his car, sneaking around to the East Side of the guest house to wait for Sierra, even before her break at three. He couldn't wait another moment to see her.

"Do you think they're still gonna go through with it?" FP asked Alice on the drive back to her mansion.

"Without you, Tom, or I involved? No...I really don't. They'd really have to be stupid or have something really good up their sleeves to do something so wreckless." Alice admitted her thoughts on the matter. "Who else could they get? Hal? He's in prison. Tom already said they can't use any of his deputies and there's no one with such a big hold on the Southside that could replace you, so-"

"Actually...that's not entirely true." FP interrupted. "I have a bad feeling about Penny."

"Why? I thought you kicked her out after what she pulled with Jug and the drugs." Alice said.

"I did. But she's working for Penelope now." FP sighed.

"So?"

"So....she has money coming in. That means she can easily buy out some of the bastard Serpents if she has to. And once she gets some of them...she gets all of them. Especially since I barely see them anymore. And I know one of these days, they're gonna turn on me and call me out for being a Northsider now."

"FP, that's not-" Alice began.

"This is why I can't move in with you, Alice." He interrupted her again. "I have responsibilities on the Southside. Ones I can't take care of if I'm not there."

"Alright, I get it." She rolled her eyes. "You don't have to spell it out for me....But I'm sorry. I'm not giving up the house that I've worked hard for." She cleared her throat and finally turned her head to look at him in the driver's seat. "The answer is no....We're not moving in together. And that's my final answer."

They pulled up to the big driveway of her house and FP parked the car, shutting it off. "That's your final answer? Really?" He looked at her with frustrated disappointment.

"Yeah. It is." She crossed her arms over her chest, looking straight ahead.

"Then I guess that settles it." FP opened the car door, hopping out and shutting it again. "We're done."

Alice's head snapped to him and her eyes narrowed with a dangerous glare. She watched FP shrug, pretending like he didn't care and he turned to walk toward his truck. Alice frantically got out of the passenger side and went around to stand in front of him, looking up into his eyes with anger. "That's it? We're done? You're leaving me, because I have money?"

"No, Alice. I'm leaving you, because I DON'T have money." He continued to try to walk around her but she just walked backwards in front of him.

"Oh, that makes so much sense." She said sarcastically.

"You really don't remember what it's like, do you?" FP stopped walking and so did she, looking up at him with confusion.

"What what's like?"

"What it's like to NOT have money." He made clear.

"Of course I do." She said, a little hurt.

"No, you don't. I saw you in that house, Alice. You were comfortable. So was Tom. Sure, you both made your remarks about how over the top the Lodges are, but overall, they were just jokes and the two of you seemed unphased by anything else. I was apparently the only one in there making sure my shoes wouldn't scuff up the carpets."

"Oh, FP, that's ridiculou-"

"Ridiculous? What's ridiculous, Alice, is Hermione complaining about how she has too many dresses to choose from so it's hard for her to get dressed in the morning. That's ridiculous and what's sad...is that you didn't even bat an eyelash when she said it. Years ago, you would've rolled your eyes and told her off about it. Or no...the old Alice would've even started a fight. At least a verbal one. I don't even know who you are anymore. You didn't even finish the food on your plate. Don't you remember being hungry? Being afraid that whatever crumbs you were eating could be the last?" He looked into her eyes. "Don't you remember having nothing and feeling completely worthless because of it?"

Alice reached up to hold his neck. "FP, you're not worthle-"

FP pulled away from her, gently grabbing her wrists so she would let go of his neck and he brought her hands down. "I'm sorry. But I can't be with someone who makes me feel ten inches tall, Ali. I just can't." He finally stepped around her, getting into his truck and shutting the door.

Alice just froze, looking down at the gravel for a moment before the loud sound from FP's truck engine snapped her out of her daze and she turned around to look at him through the window of the truck. He looked at her with so much sadness in his eyes, but he put the truck in drive and slowly pulled around the massive water fountain in the center of her driveway.

Finally, Alice's voice returned and she called for him, rushing after the truck. "Wait!" Her voice broke as her tears started to fall. "FP, wait!!!" She shouted before falling to her knees as she watched his truck get further and further away and her sobs grew stronger.

"Mom?"

"Mom, what's wrong?"

The voices of both her daughters came from behind her as Polly and Betty left the house to find their mother in such a state and they both rushed to her sides, helping her to stand while she cried in their arms.