Interview with The Outsiders.

Exclusive 1965 coverage on a group of greasers in Tulsa, Oklahoma

On the outside looking in this group of boys seem like real life time thugs from the poverty stricken side of town. But on closer inspection you'll soon realise how much an emotional bond between friends can mean to them. 

Darry. Why do you think Ponyboy gets into trouble often?

Darry: I oughta know but I don't. He just doesn't use his head ever.

Ponyboy: *inaudible mutters*

Darry: *smacks him over the head* Don't talk back.

This is directed at Dallas. Someone asked if you can date them. How do you do with this attention from the ladies?

Steve:  Well, ain't that just the sweetest f***king thing you ever heard?

Dallas: I don't dig little broads.

Dallas: *looks over to Johnny*

Dallas: I just don't. 

Alright. Steve I hear you're also a ladies man. How do you do it?

Steve: I be me.

Sodapop, Ponyboy and Johnny: *snickers*

Steve: I always have two things on my mind. Cars and women. 

Dallas: We have this saying... uh... If she's rich then take her out for a meal. If her daddies poor than you can do whatever you want.

Soda: He means he can f*ck her for a pack of gum if she's poor because nobody cares about greaser girls. F*ck her if she's poor because she's most likely a wh*re.

Two-bit: Hey! that rhythms. 

Moving on. So Dallas. What was it like growing up in New York?

Dallas: Dangerous.

Anything to add?

Dallas: If you want to be shot then New York is the place to be man.

Dallas. Why do you say man so much man?

Dallas: Is this an interrogation... Man I don't know... I just do. 

Soda. Do you ever think about Sandy after she left you?

Soda: Sandy was special. I mean...uh... she was special... like something that is... good.

Steve: Sandy was a b*tch.

Soda: Uhm.

Two-bit: A huge one!

Steve. If Sandy came back to Soda after all this time and the pain she caused him. What would you do?

Steve: I'd knock her damn teeth out.

Soda: Is that a threat.

Steve: Nah. It's a promise. 

Another one for Dallas. People want to know if you love Johnny or not.

Dallas: Ain't I popular. Man... I hate these questions. I mean. I love him. But not in a homo way... man... i don't know. Who asked this stupid question? damn it...

Keith. May I call you that?

Two-bit: Nobody calls me that,  but you can darlin.

Alright Keith. Who is in charge of the gang?

Two-bit: Is that even a question? This tuff guy here...

How do you boys feel about Darry being in charge?

Dallas: He c*ckblocks me a lot man...

Darry: Huh?

Dallas: You come hollering about something and scare the broads off.

Darry: I always tell them to wrap it up. Literally... because you know we don't want any little greasers running around. Not now at least. 

Darry. Do you feel you'd have a different life if it wasn't for this lot?

Darry: Yeah.

Steve: He'd be swimming in ladies, but we keep giving him all this trouble. 

How has it been since you got jumped Johnny?

Johnny: I avoid socs all the time because I'm scared they'll do it again.

Two-bit: You don't have to worry about no socs coming around here.

Johnny: I just wish they'd stay on there side of the town. 

Steve: We'll have it out with them again. Last time we won, we can take those sissy boys any day. 

Curtis brothers. What were your parents like?

Soda: Pretty much what Darry does now...

Darry: Our dad was a real creative guy who liked to draw and paint. Our mother did what I do now... you know... run the house. She'd always give Dallas the third degree.

Soda: She was the only one who could straighten him out with a few hard words. 

Ponyboy: We sure do miss them. 

Ponyboy. What do you think life would be like if you were a soc?

Ponyboy: I think I'd have a lot more to read and more freedom to make different choices. Things would come a lot easier to us. We wouldn't have to worry about being taken by the state or make ends meat. 

I must say you guys seem very clean despite the stereotypes surrounding greasers. 

Steve: Darry keeps us in line. 

Dallas: I never really liked grease in my hair.