Chapter 8

Edited

We pull into the police station and I take a deep shaky breath. Oh my gosh. This is really happening. No no no. They're not going to believe me. He's going to kill me.

I stay in the car until Marsh comes along and opens my door, forcing me out. I walk slowly to the door of the station, only having been pushed to walk faster once. "My ankle is broken, you shouldn't be hurrying me. I might get hurt." Tal rolls his eyes but pushes me some more.

Marsh opens the door for us, holding it open until all of us walk through, obviously. Someone calls Marsh's name and we all turn to look. A man with blonde grey hair is walking over to us. I'm guessing this is Marsh's dad. Well, not dad dad, but his adopted dad.

"What's up, son. You said you had something to talk to me about."

"Uhh, yeah. About that." He grabs my hand and gently pulls me closer to him. His dad looks at our hands and pulls his eyebrows together. "This is my friend Dylan. She's having some... Issues to say the least."

I look up at Marsh and send him pleading eyes. "Please don't make me do this Marsh. He's going to fine out. He's going to kill me."

This immediately draws his dad's attention. He goes to say something but Marsh cuts him off.

"Munchkin, please. I'll protect you. You need to do this. I'm scared for you. I know what you're going through."

"I'll get a room for us to talk in private. Come with me." He leads us to a room that has a few couches.

He sits on one while Marsh and myself take the other. There's farther away from the two and Dallas and Tal take that one.

I curl up on Marsh's side and bite my lip, staring at a tiny hole in his jeans.

"Marshall, what are you two talking about? She's going through what you went through?"

I glance at Dallas and Tal, not wanting them here for this.

Mr. Spring sees and asks the boys to leave. They do, but not without Tal needing to drag Dallas out.

Mr. Spring looks at me. "Dylan? So I'm Jeremy Spring, I know what Marshall has gone through, you're going through the same thing?"

"She is but worse, dad. Her dad has people paying him to do whatever they want to her. He beats her and it's bad. Dallas's dad was at her house. He was about to--" he chokes up. "She got out, by jumping out of her window on the second floor. Her ankle is broken and she ran three and a half miles on it to get away! We need to help her, dad!"

He lets out a shaky breath and I squeeze tighter on his shirt. Jeremy looks at me and gives me a small smile.

"Dylan, when was the first time he hit you?"

I put my forehead on his shoulder and try to stop crying. "It was after my mom died. It's my fault, I deserve it. I killed her." I can imagine they're both really confused.

"How did you kill her?" I let out a loud sob.

"I was spending the night at my friend's house and I got scared and wanted to go home. She was coming to get me and a drink driver hit her. She'd still be alive if I wasn't so stupid! I killed her!"

"Munchkin, baby, you didn't kill her. Did you hit her with that car? No, you didn't. Dylan baby it isn't your fault, you didn't do it. Everything's going to be okay. We'll get you through this and I will be there every step of the way."

He was squeezing me now, he sounds like he's going to cry too. I look up into his eyes. "Okay?" I nod, believing him but not at the same time.

"When was the exact first time he hit you?"

I lean back into Marsh's side and take a deep, shaky breath. "I was ten, it was her birthday. I asked to go to her grave and he snapped. I had never seen that look in his eyes before. I didn't go to school for days after that. It hurt too much and the bruises were bad and I couldn't let them see."

Flashback:

I walk up to my daddy who's sitting on the couch drinking beer. The stuff makes him mad, I'm not sure why.

"Daddy, can we go visit mommy's grave today? I want to bring her flowers and say happy birthday to her."

He looks at me and glares. "We shouldn't have to go visit her! You did this! She should be here with us! The only place we would have been going to is a restaurant for dinner! It's all your fault she's dead! You murderer!" He stands up quick, stumbling over himself.

I gasp and step back a few steps, tears already falling like a rainstorm.

"But daddy--"

"Don't call me that!" He roars and charges at me like he was a bull and I took away his dinner.

He slaps me and I find myself on the ground holding my cheek. I let out a sob and a squeak wanting him to stop.

He grabs my hair and pulls me up, slamming me against the wall. "You bitch! You're the reason she's gone!" He knees me in the tummy then slaps me again, but holds me in place so I can't move. He wraps his hand around my throat but doesn't start to squeeze until I start pleading.

"Daddy! No, daddy stop, please! I'm scared daddy, stop! Please!" Something flashes in his cold, dead eyes and he squeezes.

I choke and choke, my nails clawing at his hand and wrist. My legs swing back and forth, trying to gain some leverage to get out of his hand.

Finally I guess he got bored of my air supply being cut off, because he lets go and I go falling to the floor, half unconscious from the lack of air. I let out three last words before I fell the rest of the way to the ground, unconscious.

"Mama, I'm sorry."

A/N

Hello!! I'd like to dedicate this chapter to @jamar332 for being so amazing and reminding me that this book is a thing and to continue writing it. I know it's short, but ya kinda deep and I really hope you like it! Thank you!!! ❤️❤️