《 Chapter One 》

"Bow before the unwavering strength of the shadows."

"Give it back!"

The youth pulls his legs up from the low-hanging branch, tucking them close to his body as he watches the two boys run back and forth between the trees. A sharp smile graces his lips, an expression bearing amusement and consideration.

"Will!" One of the boys, a raven-haired lad, cries out in annoyance. 

"You'll have to catch me first!" The other laughs gleefully, holding up the red necktie as he runs backward.

Esmerion grins, choosing to swing down from his perch up-high and rest upon the oaken trunk as the duo unwittingly approach. He crosses his arms and lightly kicks the roots of the tree with his boot, warm amber eyes gazing over the two.

Will comes speeding through the small grove of trees, laughing merrily as his golden locks bounce about on top his head. Behind him is his friend, red faced and put out by the game of cat and mouse.

The young child then trips over the roots of a shrub and tumbles to the ground with a yelp. The necktie falls from his grasp and lands by the youth's feet, stark in contrast to the vibrant greens of the woods. It doesn't belong to him, but he picks it up anyways, studying the frayed edges of the item.

"Are you all—hey!" The raven-haired boy stands rooted to his spot, accusation firm in his gaze. "That's mine!"

"Is it now?" Esmerion drawls, eyes lazily flickering down to the scabby-kneed lad. "I wouldn't 'ave known."

"Give it back!" Will now stands, unbothered by the grazes on his legs. 

The youth hums thoughtfully, tossing the necktie in the air before catching it in his hand, "I could. But then again, I could not."

He grins wickedly as the blond steps forward threateningly—well, as threateningly as an eight-year-old can manage—with a chubby face like thunder. Such a lad might make a squirrel tremble in its skin. Not so much a wanderer, however.

"I propose a deal," he draws a quick snap of power into his voice, silencing whatever quarrels the boys might have. "I shall return yer belongin' if ye give me somethin' in return."

"What do you want?" Will asks cautiously, keeping his friend behind him.

The youth's eyes snap to him, scrutinizing his features with a predatory gaze, "A name." He speaks slowly, as though unsure of himself. "And an answer."

"We can't tell you our names," the raven-haired boy says quietly.

Esmerion looks at him in bemusement, unsure in his motives.

"You'll take us," the blond gives him a dubious expression. "That's what the grown-ups say."

He snorts loudly, bellowing laughter from the boy's words. It startles the children with its echoing nature, sharing wary glances with each other.

"I am not a Fae," he finally manages, grinning down at the two. "If I were, I wouldn't be able to say as such, for it woulda been a lie."

The raven-haired boy tilts his head curiously, slowly walking forward to study the oddity of a person. There's a golden glint in his blue eyes, a hidden gem in an ocean's waters.

"Come now," Esmerion smiles, crouching in front of them with the necktie hanging from his fingertips. "I just want yer name, young warlock."

His eyes widen in fear and he's dragged back behind Will in the horror that someone knows. He trembles in his boots, supported only by the hand of his best friend. They were so careful, how can anybody know?

"It is not in me interests to frighten ye," the youth's voice drops into a soft tone. "Just tell me yer name and answer me somethin', an' I'll give this back to ye."

"Don't tell him!" Will orders the lad, eyes burning with what might be ire. "They'll hunt you down!"

Esmerion shakes his head, "Ye are a feisty one, aren't ye? Do not fret, I only bite those that wield a whip."

"Merlin!"

A sly grin teases the youth's lips at the child's slip-up, his eyes narrowing on the terrified boy, "Merlin. What a fitting name for one so free."

The lad gulps, eyes flashing gold for a swift moment. He grins wider as the necktie in his hand struggles to be released from his tight grip.

"Now, just answer me one thin'." Esmerion qwells the unspoken spell with a breath of air. "What 'as a golden 'ead, a golden tail, yet 'as no body?"

The children frown, though clearly scared beyond their wits' end and lost to all reason that tells them to run. But Will isn't thinking of an answer to the youth's riddle, he's frantically planning a way out of the wolf's dripping maw. Merlin, however, his mind is spinning much faster than usual, his belief being that once the question is answered, they will be free.

He smirks wolfishly, baring his sharp canines to the duo. Truly, there is not a fleeting thought of inflicting harm of any sort within his mind, but he cannot be at fault for his own nature.

"A..." Merlin hesitates, a frown deeply etched in his features, "...a coin?"

Esmerion flashes him a prideful grin full of uncharted possibilities, one that makes it appear as though his eyes are glowing in the filtered sunlight of the woods. "Very good, Merlin," he praises, dropping the necktie in the boy's hands as he stands. "Do well to remember it."

Then he turns, wading through the thick ferns of the underbrush without so much as a whispered breath. It is only when the two children realise that they can no longer see his figure that they begin to wonder whether they had actually seen him at all. A figment of their imagination; the forgotten myth of the woods.