Chapter 10: Marinette's Brave Sacrifice

[WARNING] A lot of angst and major character death in this chapter. Read at your own comfort.

"YOU MORTALS DO NOT DESERVE THE GIFT BESTOWED UNTO YOU BY THE ULTIMATE GOD. ALL YOU EVER DO IS ABUSE IT AND STEAL FROM IT. YOU DO NOT DESERVE THIS EARTH!"

 They all stared at it flabbergasted. It spoke?

It continued, "HE THOUGHT THAT HE COULD CREATE A WORLD FULL OF PEACE AND JOY AND YET THE FIRST THING YOUR KIND DID WAS DISOBEY HIM AND BETRAY HIS TRUST! YOU ARE KILLING YOUR SO CALLED 'BELOVED PLANET' AND SO YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED AND THE WORLD WILL BEGIN AFRESH!"

 No one dared to move. Until ladybug did. "How can you so easily judge humans based on our actions! Most of us are good at heart!"

 Superboy almost fainted. What the hell did she think she was doing talking back to something that had the power to obliterate them!

 "YOU DARE SPEAK BACK TO ME MORTAL!" 

 The ground began to crack and trees were swallowed up.

 "Who even are you!" Ladybug shouted back.

 " Are you trying to get yourself killed! " Robin screamed at her. This woman was out of her mind!

 "WHO AM I YOU ASK?" It bellowed, " I AM THE GRIM REAPER! "

 "Holy shit!" Red Hood shouted as he just about avoided being swallowed by a hole in the ground. "

 " Why now? Why is it that you choose now to reform the world! " Ladybug asked.

 "THE WORLD HAS ENDURED ENOUGH SUFFERING! THE SUN IS AT HALF ITS LIFE SPAN. IT WOULD BE BEST FOR IT TO WASTE THE OTHER HALF ON A BETTER WORLD."

 " But what does Chat have to do with any of if! Why him? " At this point, tears were streaming down her face.

 "I DID NOTHING TO YOUR MORTAL FRIEND. I ONLY OPENED HIS EYES TO THE SUFFERING THE WORLD WAS GOING THROUGH. HE CHOSE TO FILL HIS HEART WITH DARKNESS AND HE CHOSE TO LASH OUT!"

 Ladybug growled. How dare he blame Chat for all of this! Anyone would lose it if they were suddenly shown something too great for the human brain. Anyone would lash out!

 The Grim Reaper smirked, "I CAN FEEL THE RESENTMENT IN YOUR HEART! IF ONLY I COULD SEE THE PATHETIC LOOKS ON YOUR FACES WHEN I END YOU. OH WAIT, I CAN." He barked out laughing as a light exploded temporarily blinding them.

When they opened their eyes, Ladybug screamed.

"C-Chat?"

Robin eyed the figure in front of them. The stupid cat was back from the dead! However, something seemed off about him. Ladybug proceeded slowly towards him calling out his name, relief washed over her to see her partner back and in the flesh.

"Ladybug, wait!" Robin shouted after her, "Something's off about him."

But she didn't listen. 

Although it was very faint, Robin swore he could see a smirk on Chat's face as he made his way over to her. "Did you miss me Bugaboo?" he sneered. 

She froze. Something did indeed seem off about him. Then it clicked. He was meant to be dead! She saw him get taken and..and she even had his soul! But she realised one second too late and before she knew it, she'd been hit straight in the gut. She heard a few cracks and the metallic, warm taste of blood on the tip of her tongue. As she looked into his eyes, what she saw wasn't the familiar, playful green of his eyes, but a piercing black hole threatening to suck her up. Then she was sent flying.

"MARINETTE!" she heard Cyborg call out for her before a scream pierced through her ears.

Then another.