Unleashed.

[Cover art actually by me this time. I feel horrible about it, I'm really, really sorry.]

***

"There has to be a way down here!"

Rapunzel had already tied her hair to a big rock and was just about to jump down, when Eugene caught her from behind.

"Rapunzel, no! It's too high, you'll never make it!

Adira nodded. "Fishskin is right, for once. The only way for us", she pointed with her sword, "is around the ravine.

"But that will take hours! I have to go help him now !" Rapunzel exclaimed.

"You'll be more likely to succeed in that when you're still alive, princess. So if you really want to help that boy, we better get a move on."

Rapunzel hung her head, looking down one last time. With her gaze, she tried to pierce through the black wall to see what was happening on the other side of it. I won't let you down, Varian. She turned around and didn't look back. That's why she never saw the slender figure swiftly approaching the wall, riding a horse that was wearing the emblem of Corona.

***

With the rocks closing in on them, All Arianna could feel was regret. Regret for waiting so long, and maybe even... for never reaching out to Varian before everything went wrong. Somehow, the Queen had really come to care about the boy.

Other than reaching Varian and freeing him from the guards, she hadn't really thought of a plan. Well, she'd found him, and there were no guards to be seen. Success.

But other than that, she'd failed miserably.

***

Finally, Rapunzel, Eugene and Adira had almost reached the wall (from the other side). Just as they were about to turn the last corner...

***

A blinding white flash appeared, followed by a giant shockwave that sent everyone flying.

Everyone, except Varian.

When the light started to fade a bit, they could all see him. He was still on his knees, gripping with both of his hands a huge black rock. The tip of it was inches away from piercing Varian's heart, but the rock had stopped growing. Instead, it was glowing light blue... just like the streak in Varian's hair.

No one moved as he tightened his grip on the rock even further, making the knuckles of his trembling hands turn white

No one moved as he tightened his grip on the rock even further, making the knuckles of his trembling hands turn white. Energy seemed to flow through them, growing more intense by the second, until it reached a climax. Varian's shackles started glowing up as well, the light dancing through them like lightning bolts. Then the handcuffs shattered. They fell harmlessly to the floor.

Without his restraints, Varian felt stronger. He couldn't feel his injuries and tiredness anymore. But he couldn't move either. It was as if his body was completely frozen in place. The energy kept building up inside him, untameable and uncontrollable.