The painting

3 weeks ago I had moved, with Lucy and Edmund, to live with my ancient aunt and uncle and my unbearable cousin Eustace. It's been hell so far and they aren't very accommodating. Lucy and I had to share a bedroom with one camper bed and we are forced to alternate between sleeping on blankets on the floor or in the bed. Uncle just sits reading his newspaper all day and Aunties nice but she often disappeares. Don't get me started on Eustace, he's the most annoying creature on the planet, luckily we didn't have to spend that much time with him until now. I suppose mother and father hated him as much as I do.

Lucy and Edmund had gone out to do the shopping, so I decided to read through the letter that Peter had sent from America. He had gone there with Susan, Mother and Father but no one would tell me why. The letter was just saying how great the cruise over to america was and how beautiful it is there. I sent him a reply about our situation but he never sent one back. I suppose he's just too busy. I got lost in my thoughts until Eustace, being the devil incarnate, ripped the letter out of my hands. I chased after him yelling for uncle to help but he just continued reading the paper. He was dangling it above me on the stairs making such irritating noises.

The door opened and Edmund sprinted up the stairs and tore the letter out Eustance's clutch whilst muttering "why you little..". He handed it back to me and Eustace disappeared upstairs in a grump.

Lucy was explaining to Uncle about not being able to find carrots but he flat out ignored her. Edmund and I made faces at Uncle to cheer Lucy up and I believe it did. Eustace tiptoed downstairs to snitch on us to his 'father', causing Edmund to chase him back up, ready to punch him. Lucy walked back into the room, I hadn't even noticed that she'd walked out, and exclaimed "Edmund, Sophie! It's from Susan!"

Edmund and I followed Lucy up to the room that we shared, shutting the door on Eustaces face. I tried reading the letter but was stumbling over the words too much so I asked Lucy to read it aloud.
"Dear Lucy, Edmund and Sophie,
I miss you all dearly and I do wish you were here with us, it's been quite an adventure but nothing like our time in Narnia. America is very exciting, except we never see father, he works very hard. I was invited to the British councils tea party by a navel officer, he happens to be very handsome... I think he fancy's me. It's seems the journeys have made the crossing difficult right now, times are hard. Mother hopes you won't mind another few months in Cambridge.
Love, your sister, Susan"
Edmund head whipped round at the final sentence and he's eyes met with mine.

"Another few months! How will we survive?" I moaned.

"At least you two got your own room, I have to share with mullet mouth." Edmund replied.

I giggled at Edmunds misfortune so he shot me an angry glare. He launched towards me and tickled me until I nearly couldn't breathe, I tried kicking him off but missed badly causing Edmund to laugh at me. "Do you think ill look anything like Susan?" Lucy asked us whilst staring at the mirror. Edmund and I looked at each other not really knowing what to say.

"Um, maybe." I answered, not very convincingly as Edmund wandered around the room until his eyes set on something over the mantelpiece. It was an old painting but very beautiful of a narnian looking ship riding a stormy wave. The sky looked amazing, clear and blue as it could ever be. It seemed like a happy painting, well i found it calming.

"Lucy, Sophie... Have you ever seen this ship before?" Edmund asked, drawing Lucy's attention to the artwork.

Lucy replied with a sad look in her eyes "It's very narnia blooming isn't it."

"That's what I was thinking!" I said, trying to get in on the conversation.

"It's just another reminder that we're here not there." Edmund added, with the same sad look in his eyes as Lucy.

A screech of a voice out of nowhere, interrupted our thoughts, "There once were two orphans who wasted there time believing in Narnia nursery rhymes." it was Eustace Scrubb.

Edmund went red in the face and spat at Lucy "Please let me hit him."

"No." Lucy answer, pulling him back.

"I will if Edmund won't." I said taking a step forward before being yanked back by Edmund.

Eustace seems quite shaken at our actions as he should be, I can be quite scary sometimes.

"Why don't you ever knock?" Edmund yelled at Eustace.

Eustace just shrugged his shoulders and replied in the most snobbiest voice ever "It's my house, I do as I please. Your just guests."

We all just stood their glaring at him until Eustace broke the silence "What's so fascinating about that painting anyway? It's hideous!"

"You won't see it from the other side of the door." I snapped back.

Lucy was observing the painting "It looks like the waters actually moving." I glanced back and nodded but didn't really take any notice of the painting.

"What rubbish, see that's what happens when you read all those fanciful novels and fairytales of yours." Eustace moaned.

"There once was a boy called Eustace who read books full of facts that were useless." Edmund retorted.

"People who read fairytales are always the sort of hideous burden to people like me who read books with actual information." Eustace squeaked.

Eustace and Edmund carried on squabbling as I stared at the painting to see what Lucy found so interesting. The more i looked the more i saw the moving water and then slowly but surely water started to drip from the sides of the frame.

"Edmund, the painting!" Lucy yelled.