Part 6

"Martha!" Paul cried, frantically, trying to understand where he was as he began to wake up. Everything was black, but he soon realized it was because his eyes were closed, of course. Slowly, his heavy eyelids inched opened, but, as soon as he had opened them, he closed them, for the light flooding into wherever he was blinded him. "Ow!"

"Okay, this is ridiculous! I've got to open my eyes!" he thought. And so, carefully, he opened them.

Once he had regained his vision, he was instantly confused. His surroundings were oddly, yet thankfully familiar. There, in front of him, stood his ornate olive-colored couch and his bookshelf that had the famous "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" bass drum picture hanging without a care.

"Wait a minute, this is me own house!" the confused bassist exclaimed. "But then, what about John and Martha?"

"Martha!" he called, for he couldn't think of anything better to do. "Here, girl!"

And that's when he heard it. The sound he had been longing to hear for what he thought was a whole day.

"Bark! Bark!" the silly sheepdog exclaimed as she came barreling into Paul's living room. Once she had seen where Paul was lying, which was the recliner, she hopped up onto him and began to lick at his now joyful face.

"Martha! Girl, I thought you were gone!" he cried, his eyes watering with tears. "It must have all been a dream! Thank goodness!" he realized as he touched his leg, just to make sure it wasn't really broken. He let out a sigh of relief after his brain registered that it wasn't.

"Ruff!" Martha reassured her master and best friend, now practically smothering the Beatle with her fur and love.

"I really couldn't live without you, my dear Martha!" Paul sobbed happily as he patted Martha's unruly, soft, and adorable head full of fur. "I love you!"

Martha barked once more in response as if to say, "I love you too," and Paul couldn't help but smile ear to ear.

"What a terrible dream! I wonder what got into me, girl?" Paul then chuckled to which Martha replied by cocking her head to the side and putting her paw on Paul's shoulder. "I don't know either!" he laughed, but was suddenly interrupted by a ringing--the telephone.

"Hang on, Martha, I'll be right back," he assured his furry friend as he, with difficulty due to the mass of dog on top of him, got out of his recliner.

"Ring! Ring!" the telephone blared.

"Coming! Coming!" Paul vexed. "I wonder who that could possibly be anyway!"

"Ruff!" Martha declared as she jumped up and down.

"I know, girl!" Paul smiled as he picked up the telephone from its cradle. "Hello?"

"Hey, Macca!" John's voice sounded joyfully.

"Hey, Johnny!" Paul replied, quite happy about his mate's call. "What's going on?"

"I just wanted to tell you that it was snowing! It's so beautiful!"

And, sure enough, as Paul glanced out of his big, bay window, he saw tiny flakes of frozen crystals falling softly to the ground.

"It sure is! It is beautiful, isn't it?" the younger songwriter smiled.

"It is! And that's not all I was calling about!" John said and Paul could tell he was smiling too.

"And what's that, Lenny?"

"Would you like to go for a walk in the snow?"

"Noooooooo!!" Paul screamed, effectively making John drop his telephone on the other end after he juggled it for what seemed like five minutes.

"What, Paul?! What!" he shrieked, but he was too late, for Paul had already slammed the phone back down onto its cradle and turned to Martha, a look of horror on his face. His expression took a minute to mellow, but, once it did, he spoke calmly and collectively.

"Martha my dear, I will never take another walk again. And that's a fact. Not even a stroll. Now, after all that, I think you deserve a dog biscuit and I deserve a cuppa tea. Sound good?"

"Ruff!" Martha responded as she hopped up and down, bouncing off Paul's leg a few times.

"Good! Let's go then! Oh, and then I'll call Johnny back," he added with a giggle.

And with that being said, Paul and Martha spent the rest of the snowy day together, Paul now extremely happy and grateful that his beloved, furry friend was still very much alive and well and boy was he thankful for her!

I told you it would be alright! I'm not one to write a story with a sad ending, so there was no way I was killing Martha off. I hope you enjoyed this book! I know I had a great, but sometimes sad, time writing it! Thank you all for your support! I really appreciate it! And no, I don't mean never take a walk. It's actually a great thing! XD. Until next book...