Go Fish

Song: Two Time by Jack Stauber

May 4

The storm has lasted for days and streets outside are nothing but vacant. The television, when working, only broadcasts the news, which of course is only ever about them. Or some of them.

The cameras in the mall turned out to be pretty bad. The only faces shown on the footage are of Eddie and Richie, who were already the talk of their town anyways. Along with Stanley. But no one knew of the other mysterious kids along with them.

However, Greta had been spotlighted on the television too. More than once. Only it's not just her. Beverly, Ben, Jeff, and even Beverly's father had all been reported missing too. Their faces are most likely hung all over town. And now everyone is looking for them. The only people who are really safe and unrecognizable are Mike and Bill.

At least the news hadn't shown the outside cameras, which showed a bit of their powers. The group imagine it's due to the government, who want to keep things under wrap. The powers would only frighten the people. And the people are already very much frightened.

Which is why, again, the streets are vacant. The citizens are scared for their life. Most think it's the kids who made those people go missing, which is kind of true. But not in the way they think. Still, everyone stays inside.

This is good for them, though. They can use this to their advantage. If there's no one out, there's no one to report. It's as if life is handing them a bit of immunity so they can move ahead to the next step. Except no one knows exactly what that next step is. All they know is that they're not safe here. Not anymore.

"So we s-split into groups and head out. Do what we need to do, get what we need to get. Then we all meet b-back. I don't know the p-plan and I don't know where we're going, but we don't belong here anymore."

Stanley speaks up next. "He's right. There's a reason we were all brought together. There has to be more."

"Wait so are we just packing up and leaving? In what? Bill's van?" Richie chuckles.

"There's no way I'm gonna be packed in with all of you for days. No way." Eddie fake vomits.

Bill just rolls his eyes. "We'll figure that out when we get back. For n-n-now this is what we will do. Everyone on b-board?"

Beverly nods. "So who is going with who?"

"I call Richie!" Eddie smiles brightly. He's practically hanging off the boy's arm.

"I just need some clothes. I can get those anytime. And I don't really want my parents to see me." Greta speaks up. Her eyes travel to meet with Beverly's and she gives a smile. "Besides, I'll just wear Beverly's stuff until I can get my own."

"I don't need anything. The farms empty. There's nothing for me. I'll stay here." Mike leans back into the wall.

Greta, who is on the couch, makes her way towards him. "I'll stay here too."

"Well I just need to talk to my mom. Maybe grab a few other things." Ben looks to Beverly and she nods.

"Yeah we can go there and then we can try to get my mothers will? It might give us a bit more money."

"Won't that shed t-too much light on you?" Bill questions.

The girl only shrugs. "I'll lie. Say we've been staying together because my dad hit me or some shit. Then I'll say the television wouldn't turn on because of the storm so we hadn't heard anything about it. I don't know. It'll be fine. I can light shit on fire."

Bill purses his lips. "Touché. So then. You ready?" He can't help but to smile once his eyes land on Stanley.

"Always." He hops up and takes off with Bill right behind.

Bill turns to the rest before walking out the door. "Be back l-later?"

"Bill!" The group hears from down the hall.

"Coming!" Bill calls back before waving and heading out.

Everyone else just sits around and stares at one another. "He's the only one with a car." Ben states suddenly.

The group then look outside. It's still very much raining. Eddie still gets up and drags Richie along with him. "Grand theft auto time!"

Ben and Beverly aren't far behind the other two. Ben takes the girl's hand right before leaving through the doorway. "We'll walk?" He laughs.

Beverly groans, but agrees. "Fine."

Greta watches their hands until they're finally out of the door. She then turns to Mike, who sits reading. "So-..."

"No."

Greta scoffs. "Excuse me?" She grabs the book from him and glares.

His eyes fly to meet hers and his brows furrow. No one had ever fought back. "What?"

She looks him up and down. "I'm bored."

"Aren't we all?"

"You're rude."

"And you're annoying."

Greta only grows angry. "At least I have manners."

"Yeah? Well I don't care."

The girl holds the book tighter in her grasp. Mike tries to grab it back, but she only grabs his wrist to stop him. This shocks him a bit, literally. He pulls away and almost growls. "What the hell!" Mike sounds.

"I don't know what your problem is, or who has let you walk all over them, but it ends now."

Mike watches her eyes in amazement. He then smiles. "You're odd."

"You're frustrating."

Suddenly Mike is standing and holding out a hand to her. The blonde squints her eyes before allowing him to take her and pick her up off the ground. "We've never really met. I'm Mike."

She shakes his hand suspiciously. "Greta."

"Go Fish?" His eyebrows shoot up.

The man passes by her before taking a seat at the table and shuffling a deck of cards. The girl smiles before sitting herself down in front of him. She continues to eye him suspiciously. Mike is always cold. That's the one thing she's noticed about him. He's not only cold, but distant. The boy always keeps to himself.

So why did he crack so quickly? Or maybe no one had ever actually tried. Maybe he's always wanted someone to try. Maybe Mike isn't as much of a loner as everyone thinks. He just needed a push. Someone to not give up on him. Or maybe Greta is thinking too far into this. Either way, she decides she'll be the push. Hell, maybe he can push her back. That won't be such a bad thing.