Second Year: April 16th (Uncertainty)

"What are you going to do?" he whispered so no one could hear.

Eddy covered his tearstained face with his hands. For a moment he was completely silent. Then he let out a quiet sob, brushing his hand along the cool grass. "I, I don't know."

Brett put his hand on Eddy's shoulder. "Whatever you do, I am in full support. I realize this is a difficult decision."
Eddy shook his head silently. Tears began streaming down his face again as whimpered, unable to think through his words. "Do you realize what it's like to have a family in poverty? To keep trying and fighting to do something worthwhile with your life other than plowing fields, and all everyone says is you'll never be good enough? And now your family and community threatening to ostracize you, because of who you love?"

Brett shook his head. "No, I don't. I don't have a family. I don't have anyone to motivate me, or tell me I'm not good enough." 

(As someone whose parents died soon after birth from the black plague in Paris, Brett had always been alone. When he was brought to the orphanage, he managed to successfully escape and run to the German countryside by hiding on a traveling horse carriage, but he still didn't have a home. However, while Eddy was practicing on his family's fiddle out in the fields, he noticed Brett. Feeling compassionate, he decided to secretly supply him with food and shelter in the cow's stall, telling his parents that Brett was simply one of the boys from a farm a few miles away.)

"You have me-"
"Right now." Brett began crying himself. "But any moment that could change."

Eddy looked away. "I want to run away with you, I really do. I just," he choked back a sob. "That means I'll leave everything. You have nothing to lose. But if I decide to leave, and something happens, my family will not accept me back. Since I tried to run away, the community will put me to death."
"Eddy, I will be put to death if I return too. It's just... sometimes life's a risk. In a way, you're right. You will never be good enough; you will never succeed; you will never do something different -- here in this community. You need to take a risk if you want to be different from the rest."

Eddy turned his face towards Brett, his eyes bloodshot from tears and lack of sleep. "I just... don't know. I don't want to hurt my family, even if they're not perfect I know they love me."
Brett shook his head. "Eddy, your father treats you horribly. Yes, the rest of your family may love you, but this is not good for you. Besides, you're a grown man now."
"I'm only nineteen."

Brett shook his head. "Eddy, I'm not going to fight with you anymore. You need to decide. Are you going to stay here, or are you leaving to Rothenburg with me?"
"Why do you even want to leave?" Eddy inquired. This whole time Brett had not even explained his motives.
Brett sighed. "I think this community is starting to find out I'm not the person I told them I was. I don't want to get in trouble if I can avoid it." But then he gave a tiny smile. "Also I've heard there's a lot more music opportunities there in the city. I think you'd really enjoy it. Who knows, maybe you could even play for the king!"
"I really want to go with you Brett, I just... my family needs me." Eddy looked into Brett's eyes as the moonlight reflected on them, noticing the sudden change to grief and despair. At that moment, he realized Brett needed him too. He put his hand on Brett's shoulder. "Alright, I'll go with you."

Brett wrapped his arms around Eddy and tightened them in a bear hug. "Thank you Eddy. You have no idea how much this means to me." 

Eddy smiled and hugged him back. "I need to get my things."

Quietly Eddy snuck into the house. He grabbed his sheet from the floor, wrapping it around a small loaf of bread and closed jar of water. Then he saw the family fiddle. Delicately he lifted it up, quietly plucking one of its strings. Should he take it with him? Or should he leave it since it was his family's heirloom?
After a few moments of thought, he set it back. If he brought it with him, there was a high risk it would be damaged from the elements. The safety of his family's instrument was more important than his own enjoyment, certainly. Instead he took his flute, which he had carved himself. Although he didn't enjoy it as much as the violin, it was still music. And he could buy a new violin later on.

He walked out the door, returning to Brett.

"Ready to go?" Brett whispered.

Eddy looked back at the home where he lived. The one place he knew his whole life. The one place that ensured safety -- even if was not an enjoyable type of safety.

But he knew now, even if there was more danger on this path, it was the only way he could truly live. And it was the thing Brett needed.

"Yeah," he responded, following him into the woods.

Brett and Eddy both sat in silence under the tree in the noonday sun, trying to rest to prepare for the evening but unable to do so. Eddy desperately held back the tears in his eyes as he felt the piercing pain in his stomach and his mind dissolving to nothing. Weakly he stood up. "Brett, we have to find something to eat. Please."

"We need to wait until we get to town," Brett responded hoarsely. They had not seen any edible plants throughout their escape, and Eddy's spear to hunt had broken by accident.

Their entire trek had been filled with uncertainty. What if they were discovered? What if they got lost along the way? Where would their next meal come from?

Suddenly the two of them again became silent. The pounding of hooves echoed from down the road. As they looked closer, they saw that the rider of the steed was Eddy's father, clearly searching angrily.

Eddy looked around at the things they had set down. It would take far too long to pack everything up. Their father would notice the evidence.

Then he came up with an idea.

"Come on Brett. Up that tree over there quick!"

"But... shouldn't we hide the-"
"I have an idea, we could use this to our advantage," Eddy simply responded, climbing to the top of the oak with surprising agility. Brett followed, a little slower but still rapidly.

As expected, his father spotted the strewn about items. "Ha! You think you could just run away like this," he walked over to the site. "You should know, Edward Chen, you cannot outrun me. I will find you, and when I do, you won't know what side is up."
He neared closer to the tree as he looked down the hill. Perfect.

Eddy lept off the tree, pouncing on his father. Taking advantage, he knocked him unconscious. Then he broke off a large branch. "Just so he thinks the branch broke and knocked him out. By the time he looks in his bag we'll be long gone."

Brett simply stared at his friend.

Then Eddy grabbed the knapsack on the horse. He poured out its contents of money and food, replacing it with rocks. "We're all set," he grinned as he took a bite of the bread.

"But Eddy... do we have to steal?" Brett's shocked expression gave way to sorrow and remorse.

"Look, Brett, you're right, my father's taken advantage of me for far too long. I have every right to do this," he tore off a chunk of the bread. "Here, you need this."
Brett took it, a pained expression on his face. He ate it silently as he gathered his things and walked off with Eddy.