Princess Sam

"May I have this dance

"May I have this dance..." a gruff male voice made her turn around. A man in a tux, wearing round glasses and a goofy grin was standing behind her, hands outstretched. The small crown atop his head confirmed her suspicious.

"Samantha. Princess Sam" she shook his hand instead of offering hers. The Prince blinked in astonishment."That's your name?"

"Aahh, you men are so annoying." she adjusted her tulle skirts, "More annoying than dresses. How come you don't have to wear these?"

"Because we're men." he answered in a matter of fact way.

"Not fair." she rolled her eyes.

"What is your hobby?" Mason asked again, desperate to change the delicate topic.

"What's yours?" she met his eyes levelly.

"Umm I don't get much time with all the state work but I love reading." he stared at her, waiting for an answer.

"Horse riding, climbing trees, archery -" anything that's outdoors, she yawned.

"But aren't you expected to learn sewing and cooking -"

"Stereotypes..."she muttered, leaving him open mouth.

" So —"

But before he could finish his sentence, a loud crashing sound erupted from the end of the hallway. The revelers broke their dance midway, the panic evident in all eyes.

"Rebels! " one of the guards shouted, running towards them. It was all mayhem as the guests tried to clamber through the small emergency door that popped out of nowhere.

"Your Majesty, protect the Princess" someone shouted from the crowd as Samantha found herself being pushed back.

"Mason?" she looked around but the Prince hadn't budged from his place. Four rebels in red bandana entered the ballroom, swiftly making way to where the Prince stood.

Samantha broke free of the guards and jumped in front of him. Mason's face was ashen. He had frozen in terror. She shook him in her desperation.

"We need to fight, quick" she encouraged. His eyes cleared a bit.

"I don't know how!" he stammered.

"Ugh! Babies" she groaned, looking around, frantically scanning the crowd for possible threats. The rebels had taken down the first few guards.

In the blink of an eye, someone swooped on her from the ceiling, unnoticed. The only sound heard was the clang of metal on metal as the rebel's sword skittered away.

Samantha had drawn the Prince's sword and intercepted the attack on her. The attacker lunged for his sword but her weapon struck out in one fluid motion, embedding itself in his arm. The rebel crumpled to the floor as more guards pounced on him and drew him out.

"Princess! It's okay. We're out of danger!" someone shouted. "We've got them for now!"

Slowly she lowered her sword, the adrenaline still pumping through her body. Her able eyes scanned the crowd again for a flash of red. Finally her shoulders relaxed as she dropped the bejeweled sword to the ground.

"You know to fight?" Prince Mason was looking at her with eyes wide.

"Some Princesses learn fencing rather than knitting. You're welcome." she flipped her hair and adjusted her crown.

A/N Written for the Damsel in Success contest by WattpadDisney