Chapter 18

The school day had been taken up by homecoming preparations. The game was going to take place over the weekend, and a pep rally was being held in the afternoon that day.

Again, some of her classes had been cancelled but she didn't seem to mind as much as before. There was something infectious in the air and Natalia couldn't help but get excited, the kids were rubbing off on her.

The only thing that was ruining the vibe was the weather. It had been raining something awful the last couple of days. Now, Natalia was a Londoner and she was no stranger to a little rain but she missed the sun.

Whilst the rest of the teachers had huddled into the gym again, for the rally. Porsha and Natalia snuck off into town to get their hair done.

Natalia couldn't believe she had already been in Texas more than a month, and she hadn't been to a hairdresser.

Back when she lived in the Middle East, having a wash and blow dry, facial and mani-pedi was a Friday ritual. When she had moved back to London, that had all ended, for one on her London paycheck she couldn't rationalise the expense and the time, but she still made sure she did at least one of those things fortnightly.

Porsha got a new frontal installed, and Natalia got her curly hair, washed, conditioned and straightened. She always felt like a different person when her hair was straight, she didn't do it often - having gone natural a few years back after years of abuse at the hands of her GHDs.

Now she avoided heat as much as possible and would rather die than apply any chemicals to her hair. It took time but she grew to love her curls and learnt how to take care of them and she was rewarded with a big mane of healthy and buoyant curls.

"This is the best idea you've ever had." Natalia sighed happily.

"Bitch, I only ever have good ideas," Porsha snarked back.

"Ugh, I can't believe I'm being forced to go to a high school dance!" Natalia complained remembering why she was getting her hair done in the first place.

"What about me? I volunteered to keep your ass out of jail, you owe me."

"That Agnes, I swear if she's in my face the whole night again, I will send her back to Scotland with a Glasgow kiss."

"You into some queer shit, I didn't know about?" Porsha raised an eyebrow from where she was sitting, careful not to move her head. The hairdresser had already told them both off numerous times for moving and ruining their work.

"No, you'd be the first person I'd tell..." Natalia batted her eyelashes.

She knew Porsha wasn't into her type at all. They had already discussed that. "A Glasgow kiss is a headbutt."

Both the girl styling Porsha's hair and Porsha paused to take a look at her with barely concealed surprise.

"Damn bitch, I didn't know y'all 'excuse me guvna' people got down like that," Porsha said. "You think you know someone..." she joked, making all of them plus the ladies working on their hair laugh.

"What are we gonna do about this rain?" Natalia asked and before she could finish her sentence, the hairdresser was fixing a bag over her head. Natalia laughed in glee. She loved this place.

Dressing up to a go to a Homecoming dance had Natalia feeling like a 30 year old in a high school romantic-comedy, as she smoothed down her dress in the full length mirror in her hallway. She felt a little silly and she felt like she was making too much of an effort, but she'd rather dress up than be underdressed. Plus Porsha had reassured her that they were 'extra' in the South, so she wouldn't be out of place.