Moving In

Brawler

I drove down the highway, staring straight ahead. The window was open, my arm hanging out of it. Many fields passed by in a boring blur. I shifted a bit in my seat and scratched myself. The clock on the dash said it was around 2. The sun lit up the inside of the car. Trying to keep myself awake, I looked around the cab.

That's when I saw the map and envelope on the seat. That envelope was what started all this.

It showed up at my house a few days ago. The red seal made it seem important, so I opened it and read:

To whom it may concern:

Congratulations! Due to your exceptional combat skills, you have been selected to join Smash. Should you accept this invitation, please make your way to the Smash Mansion as soon as you are able; directions are included with this letter. We look forward to meeting you!

Sincerely,

Masahiro Sakurai

A program that made use of my combat skills? Sounded good to me. Maybe I could make some money. I threw all my stuff into a duffel bag and hopped into my rusty car.

That was early this morning. I was still on the road, staring at the road and the sky. When would it end?

As soon as I thought that, houses showed up on both sides of the road. Trees loomed above, creating shadows in the cab. Looked like a suburb of sorts. About time.

I looked further ahead and saw a river. A bridge stood ahead, crossing that river. Had to be the entrance to downtown. I drove up the bridge and got a look at what waited on the other side.

As I thought, it was downtown. The buildings looked on the short side, with a few big ones placed around. One of the big ones reflected the sun into my eyes; I couldn't see the damn road. My free hand rose to block it and I kept driving. The sound of car engines and horns filled the air. Once off the bridge, I turned right onto the first street.

I slowed down, scanning each building to find the mansion. A short way down the road, I noticed a building with a ton of colorful flowers. A large, round symbol, with two lines through it, the same one from my letter, was placed on the front. Yep, this was the mansion I was looking for. I rolled into the parking lot, looking for an open spot. A short distance in, I found one near the entrance, under a tree. After turning the car off, I got out. After hours of driving, my body was stiff as hell, so I began stretching. Stretched my arms up, then out, then twisted my body. Then I shook my legs a bit to get the stiffness out. Feeling better, I opened the rear door and pulled out my dusty duffel bags, my backpack, and my tool kit. I closed the door, but it didn't catch and swung open again. I let out a grunt and slammed the door; it caught this time.

After picking my stuff up off the ground, I walked down the front path. Looking up at the mansion again, I noted now clean the building was. I could tell the building was new.  Turning sideways, I pushed the door with my shoulder and made my way in.

The smell of the building hit me first. Paint, drywall, carpet; it was the stink of a new building, as I thought. A pair of double doors led out to some kind of area, likely a commons area. I'd check it out later, but I needed to drop my stuff off first. To the left of the double doors, there was a reception desk, and an old man looking down at something. I walked up to the desk.

As I came to the desk, the old man looked up and grinned. "Hello there!" he said cheerfully. "You must be one of the new members of Smash. Can I have your name please?"

"Brad," I replied.

"Do you have any identification?"

"Just a second." I dropped my bags and dug around my pockets. As I did, I found my wallet and pulled it out. Under these lights, the leather looked even more faded than usual. I pulled off the rubber bands holding the wallet together. As I pulled off the last one, the wallet fell apart in my hands. I sifted through the cards until I found my wallet. After pulling it out, I tossed the card onto the desk.