ꏸꑛꋫꉣ꓅ꍟ꒓ ꓅ꑛ꒓ꍟꍟ  ꓅ꑛꍟ ꄘꍟꋫꌚ꓅

꓅hat evening, the four clans gathered in the great hall.

Rey entered the room and looked around. The room was filled with long wooden tables and benches. A great feast was being held and the tables were covered with food and drink. The great hall was filled with the sound of laughter and talking.

Her eyes scanned the tables, she was glad to see that the clans had mingled together, considering how long they had been divided, their alliance was new and weak. The closer they became the stronger their alliance would grow.

Rey saw her parents sitting with the three lords and their wives. Normally her place as princess was at the king and queen's side but, this was a social gathering not a formal one. Even her parents were not in their normal place.

She already knew what was in store for her if she sat at the table with her parents, the lords and the ladies. Hours of discussions over politics, and in the case of the three lords hours of bragging and arguing over their sons. She couldn't take another second of that.

Rey looked around for a place to sit, she was a little late and the tables were already crowded. Her eyes were drawn to the emptiest table in the room. She saw that the lords sons were sitting at the table. She groaned silently, she really didn't want to sit with them.

She thought for a moment, then she realised that if she wasn't able to beat them, then she would have to marry one of them. And even if she did win she might be obligated to choose one of them. In any case if there was a possibility that she might be stuck with one of them, she might as well start getting to know them now.

As she approached the table she could hear what they were saying. They were talking about her.

"The princess is even more beautiful than I imagined," said Poe.

"She's the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on," Ben said. "And I'm going to be the one to marry her."

Rey rolled her eyes, that's what he thinks.

"Really?" Finn asked.

Ben nodded. "Aye. I'm the strongest, and I'll be the one to win her hand."

"I'll win my own hand," Rey said as she sat down across from him next to Finn.

"Really what makes you so sure?" Ben asked.

"I'm stronger than you and as determined to marry me as you seem to be, I can promise you that I'm more determined not to marry you," she answered.

"Really, well if you do win I will still get to marry you, because I will win your heart," he answered.

"Highly unlikely," she answered.

Poe laughed. "She turned you down cold, I think that Finn and I have a better chance of that than you."

Rey shook her head. "I don't need anyone, I'm perfectly capable of ruling the kingdom on my own."

"That sounds lonely," Ben said.

"Better than being stuck with you," she retorted.

Now they were all sitting in silence with Rey and Ben locked in a stare down, and Rey realised that this wasn't entirely the best first impression she could have made. But they were her competitors and she wanted them to know that she was going to be fighting just as hard to win as they were.

"I suppose we'll find out who really is the best soon enough," Finn said, trying to break the tension.

Rey nodded.

"And we might as well have some fun while we're at it," Poe said.

"We might as well become friends, after all we are the future leaders of the kingdom and we will have to learn to work together eventually," Rey answered.

"I thought you said that you didn't need anyone," Ben answered.

"You know if you are trying to 'win my heart' then you're getting off to a terrible start," she answered, annoyed.

Ben was silent.

"I'm just glad that arguing isn't one of the events," said Poe. "Because I'm pretty sure that the princess would win."

~  ~

Meanwhile the three lords and the king were debating over who would win the games.

"My son is going to win," said Lord Calrissian.

"Ha. We all know that Ben is better with a sword, he's the best swordsman in the highlands," Lord Solo answered.

"I'd like to see Ben beat Finn at archery," Lord Calrissian answered.

"My son could beat both of yours," Lord Dameron said.

"I think you're all underestimating my daughter," the king interrupted.

They all laughed.

"There's no way a girl could beat my son," said Lord Dameron.

"Unless it was in an argument," said Lord Solo, looking at his wife, Lady Leia. "Trust me for as long as I've been married, I've never won one."

The men all laughed and nodded in agreement, while the ladies rolled their eyes and went back to their own conversation.

"I say we have a little bet," said Lord Calrissian. He was always turning things into a bet and it seemed that he was getting richer while everyone else was getting poorer. Han Solo was the only exception, he had bested him on several occasions.

"Sounds good, what's your price?" Han asked.

"The finest ship in my fleet," Lord Calrissian answered.

Han could see where this was going, he was trying to win back the Falcon, the ship he had won from Lord Calrissian in a bet a few years ago. "I don't know about this," Han replied thoughtfully.

"What's wrong, afraid that your son won't be able to beat mine?" Lord Calrissian asked.

Han's eyes narrowed. "Very well, I accept."

"As do I," said Lord Dameron.

"And you, your highness?" Lord Calrissian asked.

"I'm already giving my daughter to the winner, what more could I give?"

"He has a point," said Lord Solo.