Chapter 7

Muriel looks over at Caroline before Philip. She didn't want Philip to leave!

Philip glances at Muriel, then Caroline. He nods before taking Muriel's and kisses it. "I'll be back when I can."

Muriel nods, wishing she could stop her face from turning red. She watches as he leaves before taking in a long breath.

"Yes, I know he is handsome," Caroline says.

Muriel flinches before covering her face with both hands, her face turning redder. She takes a shaky deep breath.

"Have you met him before?"

She tosses her head from side to side.

"Sort of?"

Muriel nods.

Caroline gives a nod and takes the empty tray away. "Can you stand?"

Muriel blinks a few times, panic setting in. She gives a small shaky shrug.

"Well, let's see if you can stand..." She lowers to her knees and takes her hands. "I first need to ask you a question. Did a man hurt you?"

Muriel shakes her head.

"Where did you get these?" Caroline asks, running her fingers gently along the bruises.

Muriel blinks a few times before looking at her lap. She points at her neck.

"Right. You being unable to talk is going to make this harder." She sighs and gets to her feet. "Take my arms just below the elbows and try to stand."

Muriel swallows and sits up. She does as she's told.

Caroline nods. "And now, pull yourself to your feet."

She looks at her before at her shaking hands.

Caroline grabs below her elbows. "All right. Pull on three; one, two, three."

Muriel pulls herself up, but as soon as she's up, her knees buckle and falls onto Caroline, sending them both to the ground.

Caroline holds her head. "All right, that's a no," she whispers.

Muriel bites her lip and scrambles off.

"It's okay," Caroline whispers. "It wasn't purposely." She rubs the back of her head as she sits up.

There's a soft knock on the door before it's pushed open. "Caroline?" the guard says, walking in.

She smirks. "Sir Caleb," Caroline says, getting to her feet and helping Muriel onto her bed.

He shakes his head. "Just Caleb. Are you all right?" he asks, noticing she's rubbing the back of her head.

She turns to look at him. "She can't walk, and we both fell to the ground. I'm not sure she can even stand."

Muriel looks at her lap, her face turning red.

Caleb kneels in front of her. "Are you all right?"

Muriel nods.

"It was an accident; no need to feel bad."

Muriel nods again.

Caleb studies her for a moment, feeling as though he knows her. He squints at the scars on her neck. "Your neck, what happened?"

Muriel rubs the side of her neck before blinking a few times with a frown.

"You don't remember getting those?" Caleb asks, glancing between the scars and her face.

Muriel rubs it for a moment before it clicks. Her gills. She tosses her head from side to side.

He sighs. "Right, you can't talk."