First Beginnings

Within an hour or so, qualifying's finally over and you groan as you stretch your arms, your back cracking vigorously as you do so. The crowd around you slowly starts to peter out as well, the majority spilling out into the other areas of Albert Park. You and Nichols decide to do the same, and end up milling about a little aimlessly around the fanzone areas, where obnoxiously loud EDM is being blasted through the speakers. You check your phone for any messages from Daniel.

There's nothing.

You're both still feeling tired from the lack of sleep, having slept in a foreign environment the night before, and end up getting lunch from a restaurant that's near your hotel, chomping down on what the menu says is 'Barramundi' before heading back to your rooms to rest for the afternoon.

After a long nap and a refreshing shower, you stand in front of your still unpacked suitcase, a slight pout on your lips as you think hard about what to wear. Something nice, but not too nice that he'll think that you're trying to hard probably?

  Something nice, but not too nice that he'll think that you're trying to hard probably?

Your eyes gradually settle on an oversized tee and brown leather shorts. Ah yes, that's the one. The two clothing pieces are thrown carelessly onto your bed as your gaze settles on your phone, a simple touch switching on the lockscreen. The wallpaper featuring a cute golden retriever stares back at you. Its already 4.30pm and still zilch from Daniel. A frown graces your features as a feeling of light disappointment settles in your gut. Did you just get ghosted??

Just as that thought crosses your mind, you phone buzzes with an incoming message.

Daniel
Hey! This is Daniel from Tinder:)
I got caught up with work, sorry!!
How does dinner at Privé sound like?

A sense of relief washes over you and you resist the urge to reply immediately. It'd be good to reply quickly but you can't make it seem like you've been waiting around for his message, you'd seem pretty desperate. A good 15 minutes passes before you pick up your phone and type in your reply.

Y/N
Hi Daniel from Tinder!
Its okay HAHA I understand.
Sounds good! What time's a good time?

Daniel
Is 7pm good?
You know how to get there right HAHA

Y/N
Sure thing!
Hey!! Don't underestimate the power of a good GPS alright?

7pm's a good 2.5 hours away right now, but giving that you'll need time to do your makeup and some navigating around the foreign city, it seems about right to start getting ready now, you muse to yourself. Despite the hypnotic lull of the bed calling to you, you manage to sit yourself down in front of the mirror and some time later, you're slipping on your shoes and heading out of the door.

You decide to check in on your best friend, and 3 reps on the door reveals a half asleep Nichols, with his hair so badly mussed that you're not sure if it'll go back to how it was.