Chapter 4

"Cu – Cursed?"

"Yes Anna, cursed," replied Grand Pabbie.

"But – but why would I be cursed? I didn't do anything wrong, did I?" asked Anna.

"I can't say for sure, but seeing as this curse involves Elsa as well, where exactly were the two of you last night?" asked Grand Pabbie.

Anna answered immediately. "I was at the castle, and Elsa was in the Enchanted Forest, right Elsa?"

"Yeah," Anna noticed that Elsa was folding her arms as she said it.

"What does this have to do with me getting Elsa's powers anyway?" asked Anna.

"To my knowledge, when a transfer of magic occurs between two people," said Grand Pabbie, "both parties involved must be in close proximity for it to happen."

Anna furrowed her eyebrows into a knot. She was slowly losing her patience. They needed to know how to undo this spell, and they were getting nowhere.

"But Elsa and I weren't anywhere near each other last night, so how could this have possibly happened? I mean, there has to be an explanation, right?"

"I'm sure there is," said Grand Pabbie, "But unfortunately, I am unable to give you one. I'm sorry, Anna. However, I do know someone –"

The Troll King stopped midsentence and looked around.

"Something's wrong."

The surrounding temperature had dropped drastically. Elsa, who was now feeling chilly, had a hunch about what was going on, and turned to look at her sister. She saw that the three of them were now standing on a sheet of ice, which was coming from where Anna was standing. The troll children, who were lolling about nearby, saw this as a fun opportunity and started sliding around on it, squealing with laughter.

"Um, Anna? You might want to calm down a bit. You're doing it again."

"Huh? Oh, right, sorry about that, let me just –"

Anna glared fiercely at her feet, concentrating with all her might to vanish the ice.

'Go away. Disappear. Melt. Unfreeze.'

Nothing happened. She was starting to become frustrated with herself.

'Why is this so hard?' she thought to herself. She began to have a newfound respect for Elsa, who always seemed to have everything under control, no matter the situation. She, on the other hand, would almost always lose her cool and panic even at the smallest of things.

"I can't do it, Elsa. I just can't control these powers like you can."

"You know, Anna, I never really learned how to properly control my powers until you taught me something very valuable, remember? Love. Love will thaw. And you're the one person that I know who is so full of love that it probably could thaw out the whole world if you needed to. You can do this, Anna."

Anna looked at her elder sister and gave her a nod. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

'Love will thaw, love will thaw, love will thaw...' Anna repeated in her head over and over again, only daring to open her eyes when she finally heard her sister say, "You can open your eyes now, silly."

She opened her eyes and saw that all the ice had gone. The surrounding temperature wasn't unusually cold anymore.

"I did it."

"You did it. I'm proud of you, sis."

Anna threw her arms around Elsa and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you for believing in me."