The Godson Of Death

A man was immersed in his worries. His wife had just given birth to their thirteenth child, and they were running out of food and money fast. Being a lumberjack, he wasn't exactly paid a King's ransom.

He walked out into the woods, allowing the cold air of the night to fill his tired lungs and clear his troubled mind. He strode further inside and two men, his god and devil, presented themselves to him. Each of them offered to become his son's godfather. He thought about it for a moment, but decided he didn't want those who passed judgment unto humanity as godfathers of his child. And so, he politely refused and went on his way.

Soon enough, he came across a bony man in long, black robes. His face was invisible, hidden in his hood. In his hand, he held a long sickle which shimmered in the pale moonlight. It was Death. He offered to become the godfather of his child, saying he would bring him great joy once he became of age. Knowing that all people are equal in the face of Death, he agreed.

Many years passed and the child reached adulthood. Death, as he had promised, came to bestow his gift upon him. He gave him a strange vial with an even stranger, green liquid in it. As he explained, it was the cure for every human ailment and disease. However, he warned him. If he lingered at the head of the patient's bed, the young man was free to heal him. But if he was sitting on the foot of the bed, he had already claimed the patient, and the doctor could do nothing.

The man thanked his godfather and took the vial. He went to the city, where he became a doctor. He travelled around, healing those that could be healed, but witnessing the unfortunate death of those his godfather had claimed as his own.

Word travelled that he was a wonder-worker and once the king fell ill, he was summoned to the palace. He walked inside the King's private quarters, ready to use his miracle cure. But the sight of his godfather at the foot of the bed put him in a dilemma. If he were to let the king die, the country would be immersed in darkness and he would probably lose his own head. However, if he healed the king, he would be going against his godfather's orders.

He came up with a clever trick. He ordered some servants to turn the bed around, so that Death was at the head. He then healed the King, having tricked his godfather. He was showered in gold, and once he had his moment of glory, Death pulled him aside.

He admitted he was clever, but should he ever dare defy him again, he would meet his end. And so, he let him off with a warning.

The skilled doctor continued his journeys, healing those he could and seeing off those he couldn't. Many years later, he was again summoned to the palace, this time to aid not the King, but his young daughter, who had only recently become of age. Knowing he was going to get a considerable reward, the doctor rushed to the palace.

However, his greed dissipated once he saw the princess, pale as the winter moon, lips red and velvet, brown locks of hair around her delicate face. He was so amazed by her grace that he failed to notice Death lingering at the foot of the bed. Without much thought, he swiftly healed the princess. He took off his mask, but before she had a chance to thank him, he was gone.

Death had taken him to a place out of mind and time. The only thing around them was candles, hundreds of millions of them. Flickering flames lit the darkness away. Death showed him his own candle, which had almost melted fully. Mortified, he fell on his knees and begged him to transfer his flame to a new candle. Death pondered for a second, but his godson's betrayal was too great for him to forgive.

The flame went out and the doctor became a wisp of smoke, gone with the wind.