Chapter 1

The amazing cover was made by antisocialSOS
______

"I told you that a one tiered cake is bad luck, I told you but do you ever listen to me? No! You say I'm an old rusty...." The old woman's insistent ramble was cut off by a fiery look from her daughter, Tayla, who was constantly fiddling with her expensive watch. Grandma Tutu clicked her tongue and chugged another gulp of scotch from the hip flask she took out from her bra. Her daughter, Talya shook her head in disbelieve which quickly morphed into worry as she remembered the situation at hand.

Sarah Day was peacefully sitting in front of the vanity mirror, dabbing at her nose slowly, almost culculatively. She feared jinxing her fate, so she swallowed her smile and opted for pursed lips instead. She busied herself with wiping the smudge of her bright red lipstick, after putting down the sponge she used to dab at her nose. I don't even like red lipstick, it's far too bright she mused in her head. Her head rose quietly as she watched her mother,on the mirror, open the door facing the one her husband to be was supposed to be in.

Grandma Tutu limped to the chair right next to hers where she gracefully plopped herself on it. Sarah's eyes shone as she looked at her grandmother. Said grandmother's eyes mimicked the glow in her granddaughter's, as if sharing a secret. "You think the bastard ran away ?" Grandma Tutu asked looking at the door her daughter walked out of.

Sarah smirked almost happily and turned back to the mirror and declared "I wouldn't miss him if he did, it would be good riddance. I hope he really is gone." She turned to her grandmother and accepted the offer to take a few gulps of the alcohol in the half filled hip flask. Savoring the intense smokiness of the Scotch. "Bring back my damn alcoh..."

A piercing scream cut Grandma Tutu's sentence short and the two rose hurriedly to see what the commotion was all about. Sarah's heavy puffy dress made it almost impossible to move any faster than her grandmother's limps. A reasonably large number of her guests were gathered outside the door on the opposite end. The crowd parted almost pitifully for Sarah to go through. Sarah's knees buckled as she arrived in time to see her fiance's face getting covered in a body bag.

Disbelieve forced insistent blinks from her eyes as the medics carrying his body ,bowed their heads in pity as they passed her. Sarah remained where she stood even as people started heading towards the wide open doors leading outside. The small gestures of support in the form of brushes of hands on her shoulders and back, went almost unnoticed as her whole body was numb of all feeling.

Blinks were still the only thing she could manage as her cousin , Madison led her up the stairs in the family house and into her room. The simple grey paint on the walls seemed to further darken her mood. In the back of her mind ,she kept replaying the scene where Vincent's lifeless body passed right in front of her , covered by that white body bag.

Angry mutters and graceful footsteps could be heard climbing up the stairs. "I dont understand how you are still drinking after everything that happened today!" Grandma Tutu rolled her eyes and made her way to the bed her granddaughter was sitting in. She placed a soothing hand on her shoulder and kissed her cheek, the smell of alcohol lingering in the air. "I tried to say no to alcohol Talya,it refused to listen. And you should be focussing on supporting your daughter!"

Sarah moved her eyes, clouded with the promise of a storm, to her elagent mother to gauge her reaction. The light hazel eyes that she inherited were downcast, running the length of the fluffy carpet on the floor, as if the white colour was far too fascinating to look at instead. "Madison, please get her out of that dress and fold it neatly! I will see all of you in the morning to discuss what happened." Saraha scoffed loudly and turned to burry her head in the plush white pillows behind her.

"Shower me with comfort,why don't you?" The small whine slipped out before she could swallowed it. "Support? You want me to give you support after the man you were supposed to marry mysteriously died? With your blunt resistance to the marriage ,I wouldn't be surprised if you were..." It was as if a loud bell was rung right next to Sarah's ears. Her eyes, clouded by disbelieve and hurt ,turned to her mother.

"If I was what?" Her tone was so low she doubted if anyone heard it. The gears in her head were turning at an alarming pace, thudding against her skull vigorously, forcing her eyes closed. Her breathing picked up speed as the gears in her head refused to stop turning. Grandma Tutu scowled at her daughter, "Get out Talya, just go." She took the shaking body of her granddaughter into her bony arms and rocked her gently till sleep eventually found her!

****

Please don't forget to click that little star at the bottom of the page!❤️
Andddd what do you guys think ???