[ 𝟎𝟎 ; prologue ]

jasmine garcia

Jasmine Garcia ran as fast as her limp could take her with tears running down her flushed cheeks

Jasmine Garcia ran as fast as her limp could take her with tears running down her flushed cheeks. The adrenaline pumping through her veins, the groans of the monsters following after her, the fear of accidentally tripping over a branch and being eaten alive, and the pain in her left thigh was almost enough to make her collapse. She could almost feel the bullet moving around. She didn't remember how she got in this position, and she didn't care. all she wanted was to get to safety, away from whatever the hell these things were. Jasmine and her neighbor didn't bother coming up with a name for these monsters. It was something they didn't even bat an eye at—all they cared about was staying safe, protecting their skin from a scratch or bite.

My neighbor.

She remembered his screams of agony, the sound of her broken voice yelling at him to turn around and follow after her, the pain in her eyes and heart when he refused, watching as he held up his gun and gunned down as many monsters as he possibly could. He wasn't going to give up what he built with care and reassurance so easily. Jasmine remembered when he turned around to look at her with a smile on his face, thanking her, before he demanded she leave and run as fast as she could. She didn't want to leave him behind, but her mind got the best of her, and she soon found herself running in broad daylight.

That's how i got here.

Jasmine's running seemed never ending, and she was almost at the point of giving up until she suddenly tripped, accidentally piercing her thigh with the knife she held in her hand.

Great going, dumb fuck.

Jasmine cried out in pain before quickly turning around to keep an eye on the monsters following after her. They only got closer and closer, but she had enough time to get up and continue her escape despite the pain in her left thigh. Jasmine's plans were ruined, however, when she heard a non-human groan ease its way into her ears—it was too close for it to be from one of the buddies she made along the way.

Her head snapped in the direction of the sound, cursing when she caught sight of another monster shuffling over to give her some unwanted company. Jasmine wrapped her hand around the handle of the knife, and dragged it out of her skin without hesitation, letting out a cry at the indescribable pain. Just as she finished pulling the weapon out, the monster fell on top of her and snapped its jaw at the girl, but she quickly dragged the knife's blade into its skull, sighing in relief when it dropped dead—for the second and final time.

Jasmine's temporary problem gave the ones following after her enough time to catch up. She tried to lift herself up, but the pain in her thigh was unbearable. Jasmine cursed, telling herself to stop being a pussy as this was nothing compared to the worst pain she'd ever experienced before the end of the world; her brother slamming the car door on her fingers. When Jasmine's second attempt came around, the monsters were just seconds away from dropping to their knees to begin feasting until two of the three suddenly dropped dead. They both fell down to reveal a man and a boy beside him, the man quickly plunging his knife through the remaining monster's head to prevent a causality.

"Thank you." A worn out jasmine met the eyes of the man above her and slightly nodded her head, turning over to the boy to send him a weak smile. Giving how she received that bullet wound, Jasmine knew she'd have to be weary of these newcomers, but they seemed harmless. Besides, it was a little boy. . . . and they just saved her life.

They man nodded his head in response. "I'm Morgan. this is my son, Duane. What's your name?"

"Jasmine." She responded, hand quickly going over to land on the bottom of her wounded thigh.

"Jasmine." He repeated. "You on your own?"

The girl nodded and closed her eyes tightly, letting out a sigh.
"Y—Yeah. . . . Going on about two weeks now." Before Morgan could respond, Jasmine let out a groan when she felt a sharp pain run from her thigh to the side of the stomach.

He dropped the bag in his hand and crouched down to get a closer look at Jasmine's cause of pain. "Let me take a look at that."

"You got shot?" He furrowed his brows in confusion, expecting to only come across the knife-inflicted wound. Morgan glanced up at the girl as she nodded. He debated on whether or not to question her about it now, and finally decided against it when he heard another cry slip from her lips.

"C'mon, I can get you fixed up somewhere safe." He wrapped his arm under both of Jasmine's and helped her pick herself up from the ground.

"Duane," He called out for his son. "Get the bag, let's go. Sun's about to set." The boy immediately obliged and wrapped his fingers around the sleeve of the black backpack. Duane glanced down at the floor and caught sight of Jasmine's bloody knife, picking it up before following after his father and his new friend.

author's note
hi! omg sorry i took so long in posting
a chapter, but i just wanted to take my time
and make sure i was comfortable with
whatever i wrote :)