Chapter 5

This is the closest I’ve ever been to a Tracker without Eve. The first time I’ve met one during in daylight. He doesn’t realize what I am yet, but the moment he does, punishing Daniel will become the last thing on his mind.

“You are treading on dangerous ground, gentlemen.”

A dark-haired man of medium height emerges from the crowd of spectators. He wears a thick gray coat and a hat, a polished cane in his hand. Deep lines bracket his mouth, but he isn’t old. His silver-gray eyes are bright with life.

“You have some nerve,” Ashin says. “Who are you to interrupt our business?”

“You will have to excuse me for not introducing myself promptly. The name is Maxwell.” The man takes off his hat and smiles, but this is no pleasant smile. “Maxwell Ellis. These two boys are my nephews, and I don’t take kindly to seeing them mistreated.”

Ashin’s anger washes from his face. I’m stunned when it’s replaced by fear. “Lord Ellis. I apologize. I didn’t—I didn’t know that the boys were—that you—”

Maxwell lifts a hand, and the man falls silent. “Are we done here?”

“Yes, of course. I see no reason to make a fuss over a young boy’s adventuresome spirit. It—it was a pleasure meeting you, Lord Ellis.”

“Your name?”

“Jacob Ashin.”

“I’ll be sure to remember it.”

The man pales. He nods.

When Maxwell gives him a dismissive nod, he disappears into the horde of people. Even the guards quickly disperse, and so do the spectators once the excitement is over. I’m left bewildered. Maxwell Ellis was able to scare of not just nobles and guards, but a Tracker as well. I can’t imagine what kind of powerful man it takes to do so.

Tobin races over to him. “Uncle Maxwell! I’m so glad you’re here.”

Maxwell rubs his head. “And I’m glad I was able to get here in time.” He leans down and lowers his voice. “Always pick out the loners. Never the ones walking in pairs or groups. You’re too young to know how to distract more than one person at a time.”

My eyebrows shoot up. Is he really teaching the boy to be a better pickpocket? Maybe Daniel’s hostility isn’t unfounded. He’s scowling, obviously no fonder of Maxwell than he was of the landlord.

“Come here, Tobin,” he says.

Tobin returns his scowl. “I want to spend some time with Uncle Maxwell. You never let me go anywhere with him.”

“He’s right, Daniel,” Maxwell says. “How much longer are you going to keep him away from his family?”

“I’m his family.” Daniel’s voice is composed, but there’s no mistaking the anger in it. He approaches his uncle and continues softly. “If you respect my parents, you’ll leave my brother and me alone.”

“Perhaps you put on a show for your friends so they’ll believe you are tougher than is the case, my boy, but do they know how much you depend on my kindness? Do they know that I own the house you live in? Where would you have been had I left you alone after your parents’ deaths?”

“You make him pay rent,” I point out. Not exactly a sign of a benevolent uncle.

“Only because my stubborn nephew insists on it.” 

Daniel looks around, noticing how public the argument is. A few passersby stare at Maxwell—who exactly is this man?—and a nearby crewman pays keen attention to what’s going on. “Tobin, let’s go home,” he says to his brother, holding out a hand.