22.

The two friends were laying on Taylor's over sized couch watching reruns of 'Friends' for their last night together before Karlie had to leave. They had subconsciously drifted closer to each other during every episode until they were cuddling. A blanket draped over the pair providing them with warmth. Meredith sat in the armchair beside them watching them like a parent would watch a teenage couple.

Taylor had her head resting on the model's chest with an arm draped around her waist protectively. Karlie, on the other hand, had a hand running through Taylor's blonde hair while the other rubbed her back. They told themselves that it was only a friendly interaction but both of them knew how wrong this was considering Karlie had a boyfriend. Although they knew it wrong, they also knew that neither of them wanted to be anywhere else.

'I love her laugh,' Taylor thought to herself when she heard the taller girl laugh at Ross saying 'we were on a break'. The singer couldn't help the smile that danced along her lips.

It was small things like this that made Taylor's heart flutter. Small moments that seemed so domestic and normal made the blonde start to see Karlie in a new light.

(FLASHBACK)

Taylor woke up to silence. The only sound that could be heard was the light humming of the heater. It wasn't normal for the blonde to wake up like this. She couldn't remember the last time she woke up without Meredith or one of her band mates waking her.

'What if someone found out where we are? What if someone broke in? What if...' Taylor thought as she let her thoughts drift off to darker places.

"Oh my God, Karlie," Taylor said feeling her heart start to pound in her chest. Thinking something was wrong, she frantically swung her legs off the bed and rushed down the stairs. Jumping down the last few steps, Taylor made her way to the kitchen only to find the tall model filling Meredith's bowl with food. The grey cat circled around Karlie's feet and purred quietly when the model crouched down to pet her.

Karlie looked so at home moving around the kitchen and playing with Meredith. Taylor was almost convinced she had woken up in an alternate universe. A universe where they weren't famous, just normal girls. A universe where she and Karlie were something more. Taylor longed for this alternate reality, but she knew it was impossible.

"Hey," Karlie said standing up to face the blue-eyed singer, "I heard Meredith walking around while I was working out and I didn't want to wake you."

Without a second thought, Taylor rushed to the taller girl and held onto her like her life depended on it. It wasn't long before tears started rushing down her face. Karlie reacted quickly and wrapped her arms around the shaking blonde.

"I thought...I thought something had happened to you," The singer let out between sobs. She grabbed handfuls of Karlie's shirt as if to make herself believe that the model was really there.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere," Karlie said quietly while looking down at the singer. She raised her hands up to wipe away Taylor's tears making her blush.

"You better not," The singer said looking up to meet Karlie's green eyes.

"You're stuck with me, Taylor Swift."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Taylor whispered before hugging the model close.

'Maybe Karlie was right. We aren't friends. Maybe Karlie and I were never meant to be friends; we were meant to be so much more,' That was the moment Taylor started to truly fall for the tall brunette.

(END FLASHBACK)

"I don't think that justifies anything," Karlie said snapping the singer out of her thoughts. The way she said it was almost as if she was trying to convince herself that it wasn't a justifiable action.

The past couple of days that she had spent with Taylor were the happiest days she'd had in a long time. It made her feel like she was on cloud nine. She was happy, and free and confused, but extremely guilty all at the same time. The more time she spent with the blue-eyed singer only made Karlie care for Taylor in a way that a friend shouldn't.

"What do you mean?"

"If you're on a break it doesn't mean that you have the right to be with someone else. Being on a break means that you have to take the time to think about your relationship; couples go on breaks for a reason, not for you to be able to be with someone else. It's the same as cheating."

'But aren't you cheating? Not directly or intentionally, but you're still cheating,' The model thought to herself. She shook her head and took one look at Taylor before every feeling of guilt dissipated, 'No, you're not cheating. You're not doing anything wrong. Nothing has happened between the two of you. You and Taylor are just friends...but maybe you weren't meant to be.'

----------------------

The next morning Karlie woke up in the same place she had been the night before; on the couch wrapped in a blanket with Taylor. Her hand was still caught up in blonde curls while the other laid gently on the singer's back. Taylor's arms were still wrapped protectively around the model while she laid her head against Karlie's shoulder. Their embrace made each other feel safe.

'There's no better way to wake up,' The model thought to herself as she looked down at the sleeping blonde. She felt happy and free. Taylor made her feel this way, 'when was the last time Josh ever made you feel like this? When was the last time you felt safe when you woke up next to him? When was the last time you felt happy around him?' With that last thought, it didn't take long before the familiar feeling of guilt to take over her happiness.

Taylor wriggled around in the model's arms for a few seconds before her blue eyes fluttered open. A smile danced across her lips when she met vibrant green eyes.

'There's no better way to wake up,' The singer thought to herself as she stared into Karlie's eyes.