Chapter 40

Very important author's note: 

I'm sorry I haven't updated in so long, I didn't have my laptop. Also my personal life is a complete mess, and I'm not even talking about the Coronavirus. I will now have time to update, since the South African President has announced a nationwide lockdown, starting about 1 and 1/2 hours from now. It will be for 21 days. Schools have been cancelled until further notice since the numbers are multiplying at an alarming rate. In the past 20 days we've had 927 confirmed cases. I can promise you that this is not the true number however, since the tests are expensive as hell and the normal citizen will not be able to afford it. We also have a staggering number of HIV and Aids cases, which will increase our infections and death to an alarming number. Military and police members are being sent out to all cities across the country as we speak. South Africa has never seen anything like this. 

I am happy to report that I am feeling well. I am sick at the moment however, but I can assure you I do not have the Coronavirus; my symptoms does not add up to that of Corona and my temperature is normal. I am being monitored closely and given medication very regularly, as my immune system is compromised. 

I love you all - please stay safe. Enjoy the chapter. 

Sunday, 15 November 2020

Victoria's POV

"How the hell did this happen?" I asked Ross, without expecting an answer, as I sat on the edge of the bed. Ross was gently rubbing my back as I tried to wrap my head around the situation.

At six o'clock this morning I got a call from Brooke to tell me that my father had passed. They were both in LA for a small vacation. He died in his sleep.

"I don't know. I'm so sorry, baby."

"This is insane. Ross, I'm an orphan," I realised in shock. "I don't know how to . . . I mean where do I . . . what is going to..."

I trailed off with a sigh before Raeden's cry filled the air. "I'll get him," I said and stood up.

"No, sit down, babe. He probably needs to be changed. I'll see what he needs and then be back, alright?"

"What about the funeral arrangements? Michael and I didn't talk at all for years. Am I supposed to just jump in and act like a daughter?"

"Honey, why don't you read the letter he left you? Maybe that will clear all of it up," Ross suggested and I nodded. He left the room and I could soon hear Ross's voice through the baby monitor, cooing at Raeden.

I let out a sigh and grabbed the letter from the bedside table. After taking a sip of my tea, I started reading the letter Michael left me.

My dearest Victoria

For years I have been a horrible father towards you and for that I will always be sorry. I will never have an excuse for my behaviour. The truth is that I was an awful husband and an awful father to, at first, a little girl and then to a grown woman.

I wish I could have gotten to know you better. The truth is, at first I couldn't see you without seeing Rose. You two were so close and inseparable – you were always joined at the hip. Wherever Rose was, there were you and vice versa. It broke my heart when I only saw you. Later I couldn't see you without seeing your mother. You are so much like her, yet the polar opposite. You've grown into your own person on your own.

I am so proud of the woman you've become and I know your mom is too.

I don't expect you to help with any funeral arrangements. There are people who know what to do. I want you to just be calm. Don't beat yourself up over anything. I know I was never a father to you, so I don't expect you to grieve like I was one.