one

Kyrie

Washington, D.C.
9:40 A.M.

"I just pulled my radar out and tried to stop a nigga. I just walked outside my house and almost shot a nigga. Fuck my ex, I hope my next can prolly top a nigga."

As YoungBoy's House Arrest Tingz loudly sounded through the Bluetooth stereo of my car, I carefully maneuvered through D.C.'s overcrowded streets, all while making sure to be cautious of time. I had exactly twenty minutes to make it to my first class of the day, and with today's morning traffic, I was lucky if I made it to campus on time. Why was everyone on the road this morning?

"Take me to a place I can't imagine, victim of heartbreak and I'm so damaged. Steppin' in blood, we deep thugs and I can't panic. Yeah, we knocked him off. Nigga what? They gotta hand it." I carefreely rapped the lyrics to one of my favorite songs.

Other than his troubled lifestyle and loose behavior with females, there was no denying that YoungBoy was one of the most talented rappers within this generation. When it came to my top five rappers, he was definitely among that list. Every song he made was so raw and full of real emotions. It was such a shame his personal life was a hot ass mess.

Making a left turn onto 6th street, the campus of Howard University was in plain view. I drove towards EE Just Hall Biology Building and searched around for an allowed parking spot. It was so hard to park your car out here because they were so quick to tow. I'd be damned if they tried to tow my baby, which is why I decided to park on the side of the street.

My Apple watch flashed the time of 10:04 A.M., which wasn't too bad. Four minutes late never hurt anyone. More than likely my professor hadn't arrived yet. He was always taking his time.

This class was designed to be 50 minutes, but Dr. Ranford usually went over his lecture time, which always seemed to earn a couple of huffs and mumbles from a few of us. He always kept us an extra five minutes, and that annoyed the total fuck out of me. Not only did I have another class after this, but I was tired of hearing his damn voice. I zoned all the way out until I caught on to everyone else standing up and grabbing their things. I eventually followed suit.

My second class today was always the shortest. I had one of those professors who didn't like to talk much, so she never kept us over thirty minutes. She'd literally read a quick PowerPoint and assign homework. I never complained though. The shorter, the better.

I had a few hours before my third class, so I planned on getting in my car and driving back to my apartment. After I moved off- campus last year, I never really stuck around after my classes. What was the point? Almost everyone I knew didn't stay on campus anymore. Plus, I liked being lowkey. You see me when you see me.

Leaving the science building, only to be greeted by the mid- warm August weather, I hiked over to my car. Out of natural habit, I walked around the vehicle in search of any scratch or dent. Folks on this campus drove reckless, and I was prepared for all the smoke when it came to my baby. I literally worked my ass off this summer at the nursing home and saved every damn dollar that hit my account in order to afford the car of my dreams. A 2017 Chevrolet Camaro LT. Two doors, nightfall grey metallic exterior, tinted windows, and full horsepower. It wasn't the average female car, but I also wasn't the average female.

Instead of connecting my phone to the Bluetooth, I just decided to switch on the radio. Immediately, Thotiana began to play. Ugh, I hated this song so much. Why the hell was this even given airtime? I was all for supporting artists, especially anyone coming out of the west coast, but this guy's music was trash. He shouldn't even be considered a rapper.