Prologue: With Eyes Closed

Warnings: Major Characer Death

-.-.-

With Eyes Closed

God, his body felt so heavy.

Matt knew it was the bullets in his side; the throbbing pain slowly dulling, the overwhelming smell of copper and the blood loss, they were making him lose control over his body, while he had been trying to make it home, for her. He had to.

Vera would be pissed if he didn't come home to her, didn't come to her for help.

He stumbled into their apartment with a loud crash, his body colliding with the railing of the stairwell. Shit. That would definitely wake her up-- except it wouldn't, because, apparently, she wasn't asleep in the first place.

Matt limped down the stairs, ungracefully landing on the couch, smiling inconspicuously and unwittingly as he heard her slow footsteps from the bedroom. Sleepy. And heavy, because she was carrying another life under her own heart, a piece of her, a piece of him. A piece of them and their love. God, he had cried and cried when she had insisted on the one name, even when she had found out they were having a girl. It was incredibly sweet and he just loved her so much for it; as if he needed another reason.

"Hey," he greeted her weakly, attempting his smile to be reassuring.

Vera sighed, walking to him, seating herself on the table in the living room so she could face him. She must have examined him with her eyes only – soundlessly – because she soon hissed as she saw his no doubt crimson hands. The wound on his side was... severe. And it was not a trickle of blood between his fingers; maybe when he was pressing really hard, yeah, but when he wasn't... it was a steady strong stream. Matt knew as well as she did that something major had been hit.

Her heartbeat stuttered as she feared she wouldn't be able to fix this one.

"Do you want to call Claire?" he asked, well-aware that Vera had never been the one to believe herself enough to handle a bullet wound. Hell, Claire would probably send him to the hospital as well. Especially since these were two bullets in him.

"No, I can handle it. I mean, I know I always call Claire for an injury like this, but with Jackie... I feel stronger. We can do it. She wants to save you as much as I do."

Matt felt his heart flutter at her words, the well-known pleasant weakness making him dizzy. He sobbed, reaching out to touch her grown belly. The moment his fingers traced it over the thin fabric, their baby kicked out as if wanting to say hello. Matt sobbed again, a shiver running through his body.

"Hey, looks like Jackie agrees with me. She loves you already." She caressed her belly lovingly, stripping Matt's glove before taking his hand in hers. Matt bit his cheek to stop himself from crying out in misery. He knew this was the end and he couldn't decide whether he was glad or not. "Does it hurt too much?"

Matt shook his head hastily, his hair damped with cold sweat flying before sticking to his forehead again. He didn't remember losing his helmet, but he must have done it along the way.

"Then what is it, Matt?" she asked gently, her other hand covering his as well, the one he had in his wound, trying only half-heartedly to stop the blood from pouring out.

"I missed you," he whimpered miserably, his eyelids fluttering at their touch. God, he missed her so, so badly. It was impossible to breathe without her, to live, to even exist.

"I'm right here, Matt," she soothed him, soft smile in her voice. "Is that why you came so early? Because you missed me? Missed us?"

Early.