Chapter 3

"Favorite color," JJ rests her head on her fist with her elbow propped on her desk.

It's been a week since my first case. And since I'm the newbie, the team has been interrogating me with random questions. I think they're just trying to profile me.

"Too hard of a question. I don't have a favorite color. However, if you ask me my least favorite..." I shrug.

Elle nods, "Okay. What's your least—"

"Chartreuse," I interrupt matter-of-factly.

We all laugh at my interjection.

I shrug, "It's an ugly color."

"What does it look like?" Morgan asks.

I hear keyboard typing and I see JJ turn her monitor to show the screen to the rest of us.

"Gross," Elle agrees.

I stretch my hand towards her, "Genau!"

Elle stares at me in contemplation before guessing, "I know?"

I shake my head and correct her, "Exactly."

"Oh," she nods.

Morgan laughs, giving a confused glance to the two of us, "Uh, what just happened?"

"I'm teaching her German," I lean back on the desk I was currently sitting on.

Morgan nods before looking around the bullpen. "Where's Pretty Boy?"

"He's on his way," Hotch answers.

"Spencer?" I ask with furrowed brows.

I assumed that's who he meant since he's the only one not present. Hotch was at his desk silently listening to our exchange and Gideon was in his office. The rest of us are accounted for.

I could see Elle and Morgan share a smirk while JJ suppresses a smile.

"What?" I tilt my head.

"Nothing," they all respond at the same time.

"This is not how I planned to spend a few days home in New York," Elle eyes the cards in her hands while moving to make sure I can't see them.

I quietly laugh at her actions before moving my attention to my own cards.

We were on the jet to our next case. Someone was shooting people and then stabbing them in the ear.

JJ moves to place a card on the table and smiles at Elle, "I'd kill for an afternoon at Barney's and dinner at Il Cantinori."

I smile along with her. We're both sitting the same way in the booth. Our knees are up with our shins resting on the edge of the table.

"I'm looking forward to seeing New York," Spencer smiles as he organizes the cards in his hands.

Morgan raises an eyebrow at him as if he couldn't believe his ears, "You've never been to New York?"

"We've never had an unsub there," Spencer innocently looks up from his cards to Morgan.

Hotch leans toward Gideon, his attention now away from the crime scene pictures in his hands, "I thought you were gonna talk to Reid about taking some vacation time."

"What's vacation time?" Gideon plainly asks, not looking away from the case papers in his hands.

I quietly laugh at Gideon's response before chiming in, "I've never been to New York."