|ds9|•book 1

Her love lifts me up
Like no other love before
With every beat of my heart
I'm hold-holding on, hey

April 27, 1997
Dallas, Texas

SORAYA
Two weeks have gone by since my month stay with Michael in California. Despite the interruptions from unwelcomed visitors and a little rift in the relationship once again, everything turned out great in the end. Upon my return home, I went straight to my doctor's visit the next day and everything was looking just fine. My baby was growing and I was able to hear it's heartbeat, which brought happy tears to my eyes. That following day, I called up Michael and told him about the visit and the copies of the ultrasounds I sent in the mail for him. Of course he was upset that he missed out on such and important and joyous moment. I couldn't lie, I felt bad that he couldn't be there to hear our baby's heartbeat, but I knew once the tour started back again, he'll have that chance to. Overall, we've been keeping in contact consistently, even now that he's back in the studio to complete his album.

As of now, I was on my way to downtown to meet up with the girls for brunch. Now that Khadija was back home, we were able to get back to our occasional outings we have every month before I leave for the tour again next month. The best part about this brunch is that I will announce my engagement to them. I knew how this will blow their minds because neither of them would have thought the day would come for me to be someone's fiancée, not even myself. Just a look at the ring just puts me in so much shock. It feels so unreal that I was proposed to weeks ago. What was meant to be a promise turned out to be much more than what I expected.

I pulled into the parking lot of Dream Café, and turning off the ignition before stepping out. Since the weather was nice today, I hope the girls planned on having brunch outdoors. Walking up to the front, I hear a familiar voice call my name as I look towards my right and see my girls seated at a table in the back of the patio.

I smiled walking in their direction. "Hey, boos." I greeted them, hugging them each before I took a seat in a chair.

Now that we all were here, the waitor finally came and took our drink orders first that took much of two minutes then our food orders. It didn't take much because we always order our usual dish so the only thing left to do was wait and catch up.

"Look at you, Raya. You're glowing." Khadija smiled widely, looking me over.

"That's because she's been getting that good ass dick from Michael and the pregnancy." Tilah added her two cents and I shot her a look.

"Shut up, Ti."

"I'm just tellin' the truth, hon."

"No, seriously, it looks good on you. You seem much happier now than I ever saw you before."

I looked up to the ceiling, a dreamy look on my face as I thought of Michael and I and everything that has transpired between us the past few months.

"I am. Words just cannot articulate this feeling I have, y'all. I never felt this way for anyone besides one person and you both know how that turned out."

Tilah rolled her eyes, "Don't even mention that clown ass nigga. Besides, he lost a good woman over a stupid ass bet."

"That was college, and Raya has moved on from that. We were all in our early to mid twenties at that time." Khadija pointed out.

"Although what happened played a significant part in my private life, it did hinder me from giving other men a chance because my trust was at an all time low after that," I shake my head, trying dispose of the thoughts of Spencer, "but overall, I found me a good one and uh..." I flash my left hand at them and small gasps are heard, "I'm engaged, bitches!"