step fourteen

Jo was a girl on a mission.

She knocked on Ben's door, using the knock they'd established (three quick knocks, then two slower knocks), which was totally a thing friends did despite Imogen's pestering and waited for him to say, "Come in!" as he always did. But he didn't say anything. She frowned. She knew he was in his office (she'd checked with him that morning). He was probably just busy. He was the king, after all.

She took a step back and checked the picnic basket dangling from the crook of her arm for the fifth time. She'd packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for Ben and a salad for herself. She'd also brought drinks. Peach lemonade for her, and a fruit smoothie for him. She'd brought snacks too for him to keep in his office in case he got hungry later in the day. She'd also brought chocolate chip muffins.

To reiterate, Jo was a girl on a mission.

She rocked back and forth on her heels. Then she checked her phone, just to see if he had canceled last minute -- it had happened before. But no, her phone was void of texts from Ben besides their morning conversation. Yes, Jo texted him good morning every day. No matter what Imogen said, it was entirely platonic.

Right?

Even if Jo did like him (which she didn't), it wasn't like they'd ever end up together anyway. Ben could do far better than her. She was some lowly girl from the Isle. At least Mal had some status thanks to Maleficent Sr. Jo was a nobody. A nothing. Why would Ben choose her amongst all the princesses in Auradon?

Why was she even thinking about this? She didn't like Ben, so she didn't have to worry about any of that.

She was jolted out of her head by the door opening. She smiled, thinking it was probably Ben, but the face who came out of Ben's office was familiar only due to pictures and press conferences. Jo's face fell and she stumbled back. King Adam. Well, he wasn't the king anymore, was he? He was just Adam. He was the Beast. Ben's father. He was the man who sent her father to the Isle over what was, at the end of the day, a misunderstanding.

They locked eyes. He was angry. The kind of angry that sent shivers down Jo's spine. Suddenly all of her scars felt fresh. She backed up into the wall as he looked her over. He didn't seem at all that impressed with what he saw. He scoffed, shook his head, and walked off. Jo released the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding out of instinct.

(The less noise she made, the less likely he'd lash out.)

She tried to steady her breathing. Once she'd settled her nerves, she let herself into Ben's office. Her eyes widened. He was hunched over his desk, breathing heavily. He didn't even realize she was there until she closed the door behind her.

"Jo?" he gasped out as she rushed to his side. She dropped the basket by his desk and wrapped her arm around his shoulders. He pushed her away. "Jo. Shit. I'm sorry, I meant to cancel lunch."

"Well, I'm already here, aren't I?" Jo forced a chuckle. She furrowed her brow. "Sit down, you're having a panic attack."

"I'm fine," Ben insisted through labored breathing. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." The tears in his eyes glistened. She felt a pang in her chest. She'd never seen him like this. She hated it.

Jo frowned and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Stop apologizing. I have panic attacks too, Ben. Let me help you." Ben paused, then nodded. She guided him over to the couch in his office where they usually ate their lunch. She sat down at one end and gestured for him to join her. To her surprise, he laid down on the couch, resting his head in her lap.

"Is this okay?" he asked. He was still trying to hold back his tears. "It's just, lying on my back usually helps. It resets your diaphragm."

"I've never tried that before," she said. She bit her lip and began to rake her fingers through his hair. "You don't have to talk about it, but if you want to, know I'll listen. I mean, I told you my sob story. I owe you."