Chapter Two: Honey-Eyed Strangers.

This chapter is dedicated @Evax40 Thanks for commenting :)

Chapter Two:

The next day was just as hot as the last, if not hotter. Joan had originally begun to wear a thick cotton dress, but the moment she stepped outside her small shack, that changed. The sun beat down hotly, and she rushed back inside, throwing on a much thinner and cheaper dress. No use ruining the other with sweat, dirt, and the profanities that would no doubt leave her mouth. Today was one of the days when she would be filling up the mugs out on the deck: meaning there would be little shade, and the only cool air would be the uncommon breeze that came from the sea.

Joan let out a small sigh, fanning herself lightly as she walked. She passed by a small market stall on her way to the Pub, tossing a gold shilling to the man as she grabbed two of the crisp, ruby red apples. One she would give to Katherine, the other she would eat herself.

She hummed a small tune to herself as she traveled, a small grin on her face and a small skip in her step. Not only was today payday, but Joan just had a feeling in her gut that something amazing was going to happen to her today. What, she would hopefully soon find out.

The tavern soon came into view, and instead of walking through the front door like usual, she clambered up the thick, wooden steps. Today was going to be great.

-------------------------------------------

It had been hours since Joan had first come into work. The sun was now setting, and the sky was beginning to turn a darker yellow, almost orange. There was maybe two hours left of sunlight, and when the sun was gone, Joan's shift would be over and she would be able to go home.

Seeing as nothing great had happened, her happy mood had slightly evaporated, leaving her angry as she cursed herself for getting her hopes up. With a small eye roll, she walked over to Ed Thatch and Ben Hornigold, a smile coming onto her face as she saw the two regulars.

"Ello, lads," she greeted, pouring some liquid into their cups. "Been a few days since I last saw you, eh?"

"Aye." Ed replied, giving the girl a rough pat on the shoulder. "That is has, that it has."

Ben simply nodded at her, before his eyes began to wander around the deck. "What's the word 'round Havana, lass?"

Joan licked her lips, scraping her mind for any of the rumors she had heard leaving the common folks mouth as she waited them, or passed them on the street. She hit Ed's shoulder lightly, causing him to move over on the small seat he sat at. Joan sat in the little space he had left, resting an arm on the table.

"Well, someone was murdered in the market a day or two ago, but it's Havana, after all." She stated, watching the two men's expression. "Y'know, pirate territory?"

Both of them scoffed at this, light chuckles leaving their mouths. Joan grinned at the reaction, before she turned serious. "No, but it's been quiet. Almost too quiet for a place like Havana."

She gave them a small smile, asking quickly if either of them needed anything else, before giving the table a small pat and standing up. "You boys need anythin' just give me a shout."

She turned, heading down the stairs so that she could retrieve some more bottles of rum and mead. This was maybe the third time today she had done this, and the burning in her legs told her that she was getting some exercise.

She walked in, the smell of sweat, sea water, and alcohol causing her eyes to water lightly, like they always did. She walked to the back room, grabbing three bottles of random liquids and then walking back out. It wasn't that the smell bothered her, she just liked the fresher and cleaner air better.