5 ~ Love

Fall break is supposed to be a time where a teacher can get away from her students.

Most teachers; however, aren't dating a man whose two godchildren are students. So, I'm on vacation, headed to New York City for the 10th time with my boyfriend, his five godchildren and the oldest's boyfriend- who is also my student.

It's a good thing I love them.

Ten months ago, I was miserable and haunted by the fact I would never be able to have kids or a family. Especially since the man who was supposed to be mine, who I was supposed to build a family with, left me. But, when I least expected it, John managed to give me a family better than I could've ever dreamed of. The kids aren't ours and I never thought I could love them the way he does. I wasn't there for their births. I didn't get to experience the weird food-based baby reveals or the birthday parties. The Rhodes kids, though, I can't help but love them.

"Mel, can you hold my bag?" Sterling asks, trying to hide the camera hidden behind his back as we board the private plane.

"If you think you can film a prank and get away with it, think again." I try to fight the teacher voice, but fail.

"But Uncle John said we could!" Silver protests and I roll my eyes. John would be the biggest pushover parent in the world.

"Sit down and try to behave." Ashton McClain orders, gently shoving the twins aside he boards. "I don't want to drug your sister and you two fucking around will only stress her out more."

Hiding a smile behind my laptop, I watch as he pushes them around. Out of all my students, he surprised me the most. Never in my life did I think the arrogant brat that walked into my classroom would become the biggest softy in the world.

He gives me hope.

"I told Uncle John private was a bad idea." Sage murmurs.

Before anyone can respond, we're distracted.

"She's coming, someone grab the anxiety meds and the NyQuil." Saffron orders as she runs to the twins.

Oh, this is going to be good.

"Do you know how many private jet crashes there are a year?" A shrill voice demands, and we all watch as my boyfriend drags his oldest godchild, Scarlett, onto the plane. "Too many and it's an issue when the plane is off balanced. We have a lot of people with heavy bags and even heavier egos."

"Hey!" The boys all protest at once. I mean, she ain't wrong.

"Bean, we'll be fine." John sighs. "Punk, work your magic."

Finding it amusing that my boyfriend, who couldn't stand this kid 8 months ago is now begging him for help. Ashton pulls Scarlett into the seat and we make it through take off with her closing her eyes, holding onto him for dear life and threatening to castrate the twins for filming it.

I thought she would calm down once we got in the air but she's even more tense. Taking pity on Ashton's hand, I clear my throat. "Scar, it's a long flight and I have AP Lang and AP Lit papers to grade. Would you be willing to take a stack?"

"Absolutely." She moves to grab the Lit papers and a red pen before crawling into her boyfriend's lap. John sends me an appreciative glance and I squeeze his hand.

Almost two hours into our trip, Ashton lets out a protest. "Sweetheart, you just gave my paper a B-plus."

"I know." She swats his head away.

"But you helped me write that!"

She sends him a look. "Did you really think I would make your essay better than my own?"